Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

After plenty of questions, spending hours reading bike reviews & endless trips to my LBS looking at what different bikes were to offer. I finally gave Into what my heart was saying & bought a 2011 Giant Anthem X2.
All I can say Its been a tough decision as I wasn't sure If the 4" of travel would be sufficient enough, but after giving It a shake down around my streets setting the controls upto my liking, I think I made the right choice:thumbsup:

Lets hope the typical rainy UK weather will hold off enough In the morning to get Its maiden voyage out In the Peak District. looking forward to It:D

Oz.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Oz, a most impressive looking machine, indeed. Congratulations Mate.

Giant have made the X2 into a very striking head turner.

Yoda said to me when he saw my 2010 Anthem X3, "Let no other Jedi ride it ... not even Darth Vadar."

Well, DV can't catch me, and I doubt that I could catch you.

Warren.

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
That bike simply BEGS to be ridden hard and fast. A most confidence-inspiring ride...your skills will literally explode!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments guys.

I took It for Its maiden voyage, braving the typical UK wet weather.
From Baslow, up onto Longstone edge, around the quarries at Stoney Middleton, upto Eyam & down the woods back to Baslow for a nice cup of tea & a change Into some dry clothes;)

All I can say, "It certainly brought the smile back on my face":D
I need to go out on my own (away from whinging friends) & play around with the pressure abit more to fine tune the rear shock for the climbing, Its nearly there. Still pretty good though.
On the descents It felt fantastic. The low bottom bracket clearance with the Anthem with the rocky stuff meant I had to choose my lines slightly differently, but It felt like a rocket ship & gave me alot of confidence to give It large:thumbsup:
In fact my mate with his 160mm Felt Redemption1 was shocked to find me on his coat tails at the bottom of this particular gnarly descent:p

The only Issue I can find with the bike on the ride, Is that It got mucky:sad:

Oz

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
xtremgirl said:
thanks! Would you know the weight of the anthem x2 W ?
I weighed a 2010 Anthem X2 feminine(small) at 24.77 pounds, minus pedals. I am assuming the 2011 model may be a quarter pound heavier, due to the pressfit BB and tapered head tube/fork steerer.

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
xtremgirl said:
thanks! 24.77 pounds seems light :) what specs were the 2010? My lbs told me the 2011 version was near 27 pounds, which is a bit on the heavy side in my opinion. Maybe their scale was off :p
Not standard spec....it had all XTR. Stock was in the neighborhood of 25.8lbs. My friend got her 2010 AXW down to 21 pounds, with SRAM X0 and Stans race wheels:eekster:

·
Registered
198 Posts
WoW! Do you know the specs on the bike (axw 2010, down to 21 pounds) ? ! What are her wheels? Also, I have shimano xo drivetrain on my other bike (which is for sell) and I may keep it, just in case I don't like shimano. Can you put a normal BB and sram xo drivetrain on the new giant anthem 2011?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there,

Nice to meet all of you here, Im new to the forum and apologize for my bad english (Im from Hong Kong BTW).

I got my 2011 Anthem X last week. I am very happy with the bike so far, well, only had my first 18km off-road trip 2 days ago.

Sadly, my bike got a scarcth after my first ride. Please see the pictures, is it just a scratch on the paint? Need you guys comments on that. :madman: :madman:

Cheers!

Rex

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
xtremgirl said:
WoW! Do you know the specs on the bike (axw 2010, down to 21 pounds) ? ! What are her wheels? Also, I have shimano xo drivetrain on my other bike (which is for sell) and I may keep it, just in case I don't like shimano. Can you put a normal BB and sram xo drivetrain on the new giant anthem 2011?
Fork: Rock Shox SID World Cup = 3.10lbs
Bars; Giant Contact SLR 610mm = 166 grams
Stem: Giant Contact SLR 90mm = 139g
Seatpost: Giant Contact SLR 400mm = 200g
Saddle Selle Italia SLR XC = 144g
Gruppo: Shimano XTR M970(not SRAM X0) = very light!
Wheelset: Stans ZTR Olympic w/ DT Swiss 240s disc hubs= 1340g
Tires: Michelin Wild Racer 2.25 = 1345g

·
Super Moderator
6,787 Posts
Lemon[Nade] said:
Hi there,

Nice to meet all of you here, Im new to the forum and apologize for my bad english (Im from Hong Kong BTW).

I got my 2011 Anthem X last week. I am very happy with the bike so far, well, only had my first 18km off-road trip 2 days ago.

Sadly, my bike got a scarcth after my first ride. Please see the pictures, is it just a scratch on the paint? Need you guys comments on that. :madman: :madman:

Cheers!

Rex
It's cosmetic. My new, 2010 Anthem X2 had chainsuck in the first 20 minutes of muddy riding, and chipped my chainstay down to bare metal:mad: Bike still rides sublime....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Zachariah said:
It's cosmetic. My new, 2010 Anthem X2 had chainsuck in the first 20 minutes of muddy riding, and chipped my chainstay down to bare metal:mad: Bike still rides sublime....
Hi Zachariah,

Thanks for your comments.

I expect scratches but not that soon. haha... :cryin: I think i will get used to that.
I will post photos of my bikes later.

Thanks a lot.

Rex

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lemon[Nade] said:
Hi Zachariah,

Thanks for your comments.

I expect scratches but not that soon. haha... :cryin: I think i will get used to that.

Rex
Try touching It In with a bit of paint. Ok you'll never get It near perfect, but It might take your eye off It;)

·
Registered
812 Posts
If you do want to restore the paint ... Giant use Dulux Diamond to paint their frames, as a top coat.

To unify the gloss, by cutting and polishing the paint, allow the new paint to hard cure firstly (allow about 30 days under normal conditions for softer clear coats), then use Farecla G3 Advanced Liquid Cutting Compound (or an equivalent cutting compound). If you dilute Farecla G3 1:1 with water ... it becomes an even more advanced cutting compound by reducing grabbing. There are several how-to vids on the Farecla site, about cutting and buffing paint.

Warren.

PS, I'm a custom painter of racing yachts ... but I take an interest in the paint on my bike. Giant painters do paint their frames beautifully. Absolutely.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.