Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you're looking for a nice set of light, wide, and stiff wheels for your Mojo look no further. Just picked up a set of the 2010 Easton Haven wheels and man do they rock.

I'm about 6'2" and weigh around 180 pounds now. I run tubeless with Stans latex at around 32 PSI on High Volume 600 gram 2.4 tires and ride: xc, aggressive trail and a little all mountain. Trails like JMP in Oakland, Annadel, Tamarancho, Santa Cruz, and Rockville all in the bay area, CA.

I've been riding Spinergy Xyclone discs for some time now and had been looking for a set of new wheels. The Spinergys were good wheels that could be had for a bargain used. 1700 grams and pretty strong but had a very narrow rim and they were quite flexy. What made matters worse is that I was running 2.4 high volume tires on them. The Spinergy is rated at 23mm outside diameter which probably equals about a 18-19mm inner diameter and are only rated for 2.1 tires. The WTB MutanoRaptor 2.4's are only about 600 grams but are quite bulbous and didn't seem to do very good on the skinny wheel, which only added to the flexy feel I would get from these wheels. Landing drops, picking lines through rocks, cornering and being able to point the bike where I wanted it to go were all problems with the Spinergy/mutano 2.4 combo.

Well finally I found a set of wheels that fit all my needs;

1. Fairly light, need good acceleration and momentum out of my wheels
2. Wide rim, I run bigger tires and need a wider rim to keep the tire from flexing on the wheel and taking on a crappy profile
3. Stiff and stout, don't' want noodly spokes and a flexy rim, need something stiff and responsive that will last.
4. Able to take a 15mm through axle and also a 9mm Quick release, I'm running a 9mm QR right now but as soon as funds allow I'm upgrading to a newer fork with the 15mm QR through axle.

These wheels fit all 4 criteria;

1. These wheels at 1650 grams are quite light for aggressive trail riding. I put them on the scale and they were exactly 1700 but thats with the valves and the 9mm adaptor which is where the extra 50 grams comes from, then again not having to use any rim tape for tubeless is nice and offsets it.
2. 21mm Internal width, which is about a 27mm outside diameter, way wider than most rims at this weight level. My 2.4 tire feels like a total different tire now, it seems to of taken a better shape on the wider wheel giving way more feel and confidence through turns.
3. These wheels are 24 spoke count, they use higher spoke tension on these wheels making them stiffer, as well the rim seems to be stout and the hubs as well, they feel light years more stable than the spinergys ever could of dreamed of.
4. They were designed around the 15mm QR axle, they come with the 9mm adaptor in case you are not using a 15qr fork, which I'm not, yet.

"Wow" so this is what a bike is supposed to feel like was all I could think lwhen I went up to Annadel park in Santa Rosa, CA for my second ride since swapping wheels. This is by far one of my favorite trails in the entire bay area. Lots of fast descents, some smooth with roots,others very rocky. They all cover a good amount of distance, did a 22 mile loop which involves a fair amount of climbing, nothing too steep but again lots of rocks.

On the climbs the wheels felt like the spinergy's which were always nimble and accelerated quickly, the wheels never gave a soggy feel and the bike never feels like its trying to slow down on its own. I did notice however when really powering on the cranks that the rear of the bike felt less squishy and flexy. Felt like I was putting down a little bit more power to the ground due the more stiff nature of the new wheel, and tire profile. I also noticed at the same PSI the tire now feels more stiff and while it still has good cushion in the lower 30's PSI, it didn't feel wallowy or not planted.

The 2.4 tire has such a better profile now that its mounted on a wider rim. I have much more confidence going into fast turns as the tire doesn't feel like its rolling off of the rim, as well the entire bike suddenly feels much more firm and rigid. With the stiffer wheel I can float through the chop and the bike holds its line with way more authority, picking a line is now much more confidence inspiring and I can turn much more quickly. Landing drops the bike feels so solid and planted, nothing more than some simple jumps but at one point you can launch a kicker and land sideways onto a burm built up on a wooden stick bridge. If you're going fast enough you land sidewaysz slightly into a berm hard. For the first time the Mojo just felt planted, no more oh **** moment.

Needless to say but they are works of art, the hub is simply amazing from the outside with its champagne finish and CNC machining. Whats nice about it is that it isn't really loud, it sounds very smooth but still with retains positive "clicks". I'm not sure on how many pawls, or how fast the engagement is, it feels good but I believe they are likely average around 30-40 points of engagement if I had to guess The front Hub is seamless and spins effortlessly like butter, you don't hear or feel anything when you freely spin the front wheel. I can't wait to convert my fork over to the 15mm QR axle to take full advantage of the rigidity the front hub has to offer. As time goes on we will see how sturdy these hubs are and how easy they are to maintain, I've yet to hear any problems about Eastons hubs, hopefully that rings true for these as well.

The rim itself seems to be nice, they are UST and you don't have to use ANY rim tape or anything tp go tubeless, mount any kind of tire you want, add a lil Stans Latex and the pump right up with compressed air and seat with a "ping". Much, much easier than using the rim tape and universal valves or the Stans rubber strap with valve trying to get non UST wheels to seat and seal.

As well the wheels are hand built, with only 24 spokes, with a lower spoke count so Easton has to raise the tension of each spoke. They make sure all the spokes are evenly tension by hand. I can't say the wheel is absolutely %100 true but I know that all of the tensions are spot on which is what is important. I do understand that the drawback of the 24 spoke is that if you break one the rim comes much more easily out of whack since you have less spokes to hold it together. The benefits seems to be a stiff wheel with less weight. I like :). Apparently Easton uses some new eyelet/rim interface which acts like a turnbuckle allowing them to make a lighter rim that is still as strong.

I'm still not really digging the big flashy letters on the wheel, I think they are clear coated over so my idea of heating them up and peeling them off won't work, its starting to grow on me but I'm not a big fan of the advertisement.

I'm totally stoked on these wheels, I don't have a lot of time on comparably stiff wheels, so I can'[t really say that they are much better than other comparable wheels on the market. They do run standard DT double butted spokes though and can be true'd like a normal wheel. As well for the weight, you don't find any other wheelsets out there that are as wide, yet still stiff for under 1700 grams. I really think Easton hit the nail on the head offering this package.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Nice wheels.....I just bought Eastons road wheels and like them a lot. Nice bike as well!!!

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
d3toid said:
If the front hub can't take a 20mm axel then I wouldn't consider them as all mountain wheels.
Thats nice, but where did I say it was an All Mountain wheel? I doubt you'll find a "real" AM wheel that weighs 1650 grams, none the less really want one unless your idea of All Mountain is really just XC :p

BTW, I believe they are working on a 20mm adapter, not %100 confirmed though, but it doesn't matter to me as I'll be going with a fox QR15 fork ;)

If they don't release a 20mm option though, I think they'll be shooting themselves in the foot considering how popular through axle's are these days.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
They lok amazing. I have the Easton XC Ones on my mojo. Too small for the typ of riding I do. This looks perfect.

Erik

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nice Wheels

You will never forget they are Easton Haven wheels, neither will the person next to you, or the person one mile away who can read the letters on the side of the rim.

They sound nice, I think wider rims are then next big thing. Go pugsly!

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah like I said, I'm not a big fan of the advertisement.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I've put more than a handful of rides on these wheels and on the last really rocky ride I swore I noticed a little bit of play in the rear wheel. When I got home I put the bike upside down and grabbed the wheel. If I rocked it back and forth I could feel just a hair of movement.

So I took the wheel off the bike and took a look at the rear hub. What I found is that these hubs have a nicely crafted bearing preload adjuster. I think when these wheels were shipped out they were just on the cusp of being loose. Just about an 1/8 of a turn took out the slack yet they still spun beautifully. Nice feature.

·
YRTRNRSHVY
556 Posts
Wow, those hubs are beautiful.

Why do you run 32psi? I run stans on my 2.25 Maxxis Ardent tires and run 27 on rocky trails and have no rim damage at all.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lemmy999 said:
Wow, those hubs are beautiful.

Why do you run 32psi? I run stans on my 2.25 Maxxis Ardent tires and run 27 on rocky trails and have no rim damage at all.
I weigh 180 pounds how much do you weigh? 27 feels a little too low for me, makes the tire feel likes its "swimming"

·
YRTRNRSHVY
556 Posts
I am 170 without gear. I haven't noticed that feeling, but if I did, I would definitely run more pressure. I know a really fast racer that has a 29r with UST wheels and he runs 17psi. I guess UST being stiffer helps reduce that "swimming" feeling.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Nice wheels. I like the graphics. That bike is way too clean though.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lemmy999 said:
I am 170 without gear. I haven't noticed that feeling, but if I did, I would definitely run more pressure. I know a really fast racer that has a 29r with UST wheels and he runs 17psi. I guess UST being stiffer helps reduce that "swimming" feeling.
I might try lowering the pressure now that the tire is on the correct size wheel, but on the other hand having the high volume tire already makes it feel like its running less pressure even with 32 in it, if that makes any sense. It is something I've been thinking about :thumbsup:

Oh and 17psi??? lol, I bet the UST helps but still! :eekster:

On a sidenote, I've found recommendations on Internet PSI to be useless. I'd bet almost %95 of peoples flloor pump guages are completely whack. I've compared mine and a few friends pump guages against my calibrated motorcycle guage and most pumps I've seen seem to run 6psi high. But I've seen them all across the board. Really I pump mine up to 38 on my JoeBlowPro pump because I know it reads 6 psi high.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No sorry I don't. I thought about that after the fact, was too excited to get them on :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Do they use the dual-threading design that the other Easton wheels use? Oh wait, I just read it again and it says they use DT spokes, that's a good move.

We just had a customer with 12month old XC Ones that had a busted spoke with the twin-thread desing, and was a PITA to get out, since it had broken at the hub and we had to use a heat gun on the hub flange to warm up the loctite before we even got it out, long story...

From other threads on here about Easton MTB wheels, there doesn't seem to be a lot of love, interesting to see how much they're changing with these wheels.

I'm not sure I completely understand your theory with using less spokes for more tension - does that mean a wheel with 20 spokes would be stiffer again?

How much do these wheels cost and how much did you have to pay for them, if at all?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I'm not an engineer, so I won't play one but as far as I can tell they use less spokes to save weight and to make up for the lack of stifness they use higher tension which they can do because of their special turnbuckle at the npple/rim interface. As well this turnbuckle also seems to allow them to have a lighter rim that still can be stiff. That's my take on it, not guaranteed to be %100 corrext ;)

As far as price goes I get good deals at my LBS, not really sure what you are trying to imply? I wrote a great review because I'm thoroughly happy, trust me if they turn out to be crap down the road ill be the first to say something. I just happened to be searchig for the right type of wheel for awhile now and am stoked to have these, if u couldnlt tell already, ha!

Loosen up a bit. :)

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
doismellbacon said:
Yeah, I don't know if we should trust a review from somebody with such a clean bike.....
;) :D
Haha, don't trust guys with the clean bikes, they don't really clean them they just get new ones for free after every ride! :p

1 - 20 of 222 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.