Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My fork recently broke on me, and from researching new forks, it appears I am most likely going to have a tapered or 1. 5" Steerer tube on it. My Cannondale Jekyll 600 head tube is 1.5, but currently has a reducing fsa headset installed to allow for a 1 1/8" Steerer tube.

What kind of measurements do I need to ensure a fit with a new headset? Is this something that can be done at home or am I definitely going to want my bike shop to find something that will work? I don't have tools to remove or press in races so I am going to have to bring it in anyways.

Also, is it possible to just purchase half of a headset? In my case, buy a 1.5" bottom and get it installed and leave 1 1/8 top if I end up with a tapered head tube fork.

I'm talking price range of cane creek or fsa headsets. I'm not dropping the big bucks for a Chris king when I only have 600$ into this build, and I'm looking at 200-400 for a replacement fork.

I havent landed on a specific fork, but will most likely end up with a used Fox float talas 34 or 36 in the 130-160mm range, or a rockshox domain302 160mm, or possibly Manitou Minute pro. Not concerned about weight. Freeride/ All mountain bike.

Cheers

·
Registered
973 Posts
maybe post a picture of your head tube...a tapered fork would have a 1.5 bottom with a 1.125 top. I have enclosed a picture of my FSA Orbit 1.5B ZS head set and Marin head tube with a tapered 2014 Reba fork :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here is a picture of my head tube. Just for clarification I understand that tapered are 1.5 bottom, 1.125 top. I am purchasing a used fork at some point over the next couple weeks. I havent purchased the fork yet, trying to factor in the cost of a new headset as well. The Steerer is either going to be tapered or 1.5", because I am looking into all mountain/free ride style forks, and in general these forks tend to have larger steerers.

1.5" straight headtube, with fsa reducing headset allowing use of 1 1/8" steerer . Current setup with my broken fork still on bike.

Will any 1.5" headset fit, or are there other dimensions i need to pay attention as well? Ive looked at Fsa 1.5 big fat pig which is only $40 but i want to be sure it will fit.
Edit: not sure if it matters but the Steerer is 8.5" long on my fork.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I'm not familiar with FSA but I'm a fan of Cane Creek headsets. I'm also have no idea of the dimensions of your Cannondale headset. Here is a link to their headset fit finder:

https://www.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder

It will walk you through the data you need to get the correct headset. I'm sure you would be able to keep the top bearing and you certainly can buy "half a headset".

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I am running FSA the pig 1.125 headset on my xc/am hardtail.

No problems so far, I think it cost me around $20

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more general question. I have never had trouble with my headset but it appears different than modern headset. My bearings are in a cage and greased and visible when the top cap is removed. From photos it appears most headsets have sealed bearings now?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts