Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So besides the chainstay rub issue - not really an issue with a "normally" setup AM bike like the RIP9 using a double ring/compact tripple - what are you people thinking of them since they've been out now a few months?
- Do you still feel the same way as when you first recieved them?
- Do they still feel uber stiff and compared to what before?
- Any tweaks you've done since the original setup you think have improved the bike even more?

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Yeah, Lynx, it does just what it says on the tin.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh you guys are so smart, thanks for some inspiring thoughts on your RIPs :p

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
Very pleased so far.

Once the bashguard and custom skidplate was installed, the bike has been flawless. The large oversized downtube sounds like a drum when rocks/debris are flung up from the front tire but the overall frame stiffness is worth the noise.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
AZmtncycler- is this quickly becoming your favorite ride? I liked your skidplate and if I ever get a RIP9, I'd like to bribe you (just letting you know in advance). :)

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
Hmm... tough decision.

Flyer said:
AZmtncycler- is this quickly becoming your favorite ride? I liked your skidplate and if I ever get a RIP9, I'd like to bribe you (just letting you know in advance). :)
I like to ride all of the bikes in my Stable.. '05 Yeti 575, '08 Yeti 575, '08 Turner Sultan, '09 RIP. I've got them all set up for various types of Terrain. For the "Uber" chunk (SoMo- Holbert, Viejo, Goat Camp trails..etc) the '08 575 with the RS Lyrik up front works best. The RIP is best suited for (SoMo- National, Mormon, Sedona- Munds Wagon, Hangover etc..) trails that have some tech but don't necessarily need the additional ground clearance or relaxed front end for the super steep descents. The Sultan and my older 575 are more XC oriented with 100mm and 115mm forks. They spend their time on (SoMo- Climbing Javelina, Ridgeline, Hawes trail system out in Mesa etc... Now, if I had to posess ONE bike, I'd have to go with '08 575 as with a quick fork/wheel change, it can become a very good bike for any type of terrain. Fortunately, I have the luxury to choose my 'weapon' of choice for the appropriate terrain.;)

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for giving something other than some smart ass remark :thumbsup: I thought OK, the new RIP9 has a few minor problems, but not deal breakers, so with all the threads on breakages/problems I though how bout a thread where owners can give some brief feelings on how they're going after being out about 2 months - guess no matter what you do around here you loose.

AZmtncycler said:
Once the bashguard and custom skidplate was installed, the bike has been flawless. The large oversized downtube sounds like a drum when rocks/debris are flung up from the front tire but the overall frame stiffness is worth the noise.:thumbsup:

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
Since they have came out, i am wishing my 09 Jet9 would magically turn into a new Rip9 as I am doing my DH racing on my Demo, XC racing is sort of on the back burner, and i know i would have a lot more fun riding a 29er AM bike rather than a 29er XC rocket.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts