Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Giant Anthem
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new 06 trance from my LBS. It was a bit of quick decision but I love the bike. I haven't been able to ride it cuz of snow. I'm never wanted to ride so bad in my life. It's my first full susp rig. Frames a bit heavy though (will this be a problem climbing??) I got this over a superlight did I do the right thing??:thumbsup:

·
Registered
170 Posts
2fst4u said:
I just got a new 06 trance from my LBS. It was a bit of quick decision but I love the bike. I haven't been able to ride it cuz of snow. I'm never wanted to ride so bad in my life. It's my first full susp rig. Frames a bit heavy though (will this be a problem climbing??) I got this over a superlight did I do the right thing??:thumbsup:
a problem climbing ? only if you let it be - my trance weighs in at over 30lbs with sturdy kit and a jacked up front end, it still clears clears climbs that riding friends on skimpy xc hartails cant get up hehe

did you do the right thing ? surly only you can answer that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good Move

Yes, Trances are great bikes, they climb very well. In fact, I had an 05 Superlight with an RP3 & I would take the Trance over a Superlight any day of the week. The Superlight was lighter, but not by a whole lot. In fact, I wonder why they even call them "Superlight's." With a name like that they ought to be Superlight. If anything, & I'm not trying to make any enemies here, they are for Superlight weights.:p My flexed terribly in the rear triangle. This is certainly not the case with the Trance. You will really like this bike! :thumbsup:

·
Giant Anthem
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I like the fact that you can "clear climbs that riding friends on skimpy xc hartails cant get up". I like that alot as the trails here (denver area) are full of climbs. I'm coming from a hardtail myself. Since it's to snowy to ride my new trance I just wanted some insight on how that first ride is gonna feel!! Thanks for your post.

·
~~~~~~~
1,293 Posts
2fst4u said:
Thanks for the words, have you raced your trance or your superlight at all?
I'm originally from colorado and i bought a 2006 trance 1 in may to ride in california. i must say, i've been very happy with the bike. i raced it a few times. won the sport class at downieville on it, which is practically identical to riding in winterpark or near nederland. one huge climb of about 4,000 feet and then lots of downhill with baby head and drops, then tighter flowing stuff. you're gonna be VERY happy with the bike once the snow clears. one word of warning though- the race face BB is going to blow out on you b'c of poor bearings and seals. check it out on the boards. the best answer is to replace them when the go with phil wood bearings- and make sure you, or the shop, faces the BB. have fun!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Have a Superlight and a Reign...

26lbs vs 32lbs, and find my uphill times on my usual 12mile loop is about the same. Time seems to be more dependant on weather (temps greater than 75 degrees, or major wind storms) or what I had for lunch, than the weight of the bike. If you have never ridden FS, a SL feels great, but after riding a Trance, the SL will feel like a hardtail.

·
Giant Anthem
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dirt Diggler

Dirt_Diggler said:
I'm originally from colorado and i bought a 2006 trance 1 in may to ride in california. i must say, i've been very happy with the bike.
Thanks for letting me know that the Trance worked well for you on raceday. In my opinion the sport class (at least Norba) is very competitive, congrats on the win.

I plan on doing 2 races this summer and some epic rides out of town. (I have kids)

The trance is going to be perfect for how I ride and what I'm using it for. Oh, and the bottom bracket (I seen the reviews as well) I'll have to keep an eye out. Thanks:cool:

·
Giant Anthem
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dirt Diggler

Dirt_Diggler said:
I'm originally from colorado and i bought a 2006 trance 1 in may to ride in california. i must say, i've been very happy with the bike.
Thanks for letting me know that the Trance worked well for you on raceday. In my opinion the sport class (at least Norba) is very competitive, congrats on the win.

I plan on doing 2 races this summer and some epic rides out of town. (I have kids)

The trance is going to be perfect for how I ride and what I'm using it for. Oh, and the bottom bracket (I seen the reviews as well) I'll have to keep an eye out. Thanks:cool:

·
~~~~~~~
1,293 Posts
2fst4u said:
yeah, the field was like 70 riders- i would have been like 10th in the experts with my time- i'm gonna "reluctantly"make the jump up this year, though i think i just had a good day and the bike is literallly perfect for the course. both cali and colorado have really active race scenes and i agree- sport is pretty competitive and also less predictable, which can sometimes be dangerous and frustrating.

where will you be riding this summer? I miss ALL the trails in the area. where are your out of town trips to? fruita? moab? durango? :)

if you know anyone looking for a 29er full suspension- have 'em check out

http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/29er/-

we just tested a bunch of awesome new 29ers for MTBR and reviewed them- shameless plug ;)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
2fst4u said:
Thanks for the words, have you raced your trance or your superlight at all?
I've raced my '06 Trance 2 (weighs around 28 lbs) and was happy with it. If I lived in some parts of the country I would just race on a hardtail, but in northern NJ the cush rear end helps amongst the rocks, roots and hills. I guess ideally I'd have an Anthem as well, but the Trance is pretty well perfect for a weekend trail bike plus racer in one.

·
Giant Anthem
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Trance/Race

Dirt_Diggler said:
where will you be riding this summer? I miss ALL the trails in the area. where are your out of town trips to? fruita? moab? durango? :)
Expert, tough division, kudos to you. A couple questions for ya.

How many years have you ridden in order to get to your current race level?

What is your training program like? Do spend alot of time training?

On a differt note, I guess I need to speed up my climbs and overall bike fitness to race sport. I got 2nd in the begginers class (in my age group) at wildflower rush and got 7th at battle the bear in denver. Not very good, but I had to start somewhere.

As far as riding, my normal spots are green mountain (lakewood), MT Falcon (morrison)
and White rach (Arvada)

As far as trips maybe moab, crested butte, or Fruita.

I'm open to places to go since I ride locally most of the time.

What was your favorite ride in CO??

·
~~~~~~~
1,293 Posts
i've been riding for about 10 years now, with a few substantial gaps in there while in alaska and in school or without a mtbike. probably the best thing i did for my training was ride a fixed gear for a few years. it made me much more conscious of my pedal stroke, cadence, and overall fitness.

i probably spend about 10-12 hours a week on the bike- though most of it is on the road as i commute to or from work about 4-5 times a week. its a 21 mile commute.

those aren't bad finishes in beginner either. seriously, you really can't judge your ability until you get in more predictable race environments and beginner is never predictable.

i love white ranch. have you been up into golden gate canyon state park? mountain lion and burro trails are awesome. my favorite trails are all up near nederaland and eldora. i also really like many of the trials just west of colorado springs. fruita is just as good as moab, if not better IMO, and its closer.

·
Giant Anthem
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Trance/Race

NJ-XC-Justin said:
I've raced my '06 Trance 2 (weighs around 28 lbs) and was happy with it.
Yeah my trance 2 is an 06 (burnt orange color) it's totally stock right now. I hope to get the weight down with a new wheelset and whatnot. Man the frame is a little heavier than I thought however; does the weight really matter unless your planning on being a high caliber racer? Or if you have significant money to spend on a lighter frame?

By the way I have a hardtail that I can race if conditions allow it. But I plan on using the trance to do everything xc race,xc trail riding.

Do you race sport, expert or what??

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
R U Sh1tting me??

Can't believe you actually asked the question :eek: Those superlights are super flexy, thats about all the super they have in them. In the Trance yu will find a Super Stiff Climbing Machine and Downhiller. Equip her with a nice adjustable travel for between 100-140mm and you can handle any terrain.

Which model did you get - T1,T2,T3?? If you got one of the lower end T3 then if you still have your old hardtail I'd consider stripping the XT parts of it and putting them on the Trance.

Welcome to the Brotherhood :D Looking forward to riding w/ a fellow Trance owner whe I get up there for the LT100. Trance I think is a super bike for CO.

2fst4u said:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
2fst4u said:
I hope to get the weight down with a new wheelset and whatnot. Man the frame is a little heavier than I thought however; does the weight really matter unless your planning on being a high caliber racer? Or if you have significant money to spend on a lighter frame? By the way I have a hardtail that I can race if conditions allow it. But I plan on using the trance to do everything xc race,xc trail riding.
I have the same Trance - Burnt Orange '06 T2. At around 28 lbs it's already got great components like X9 and XT and good wheels, so it would take lots of money to upgrade to XTR/XO/CrossMaxSL wheels/carbon bits to get it down another 2 maybe 3 pounds, so for me it's not worth it (for thousands of dollars, you might as well get a dedicated race machine). If anything I'm thinking about taking my Reba off and sticking it on my hardtail for a light racer and getting a Pike or Fox 32 for the Trance to bulk it up. For now I still ahve to remove that spacer in my Reba for the extra 15mm.

·
Giant Anthem
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Trance 2

LyNx said:
Can't believe you actually asked the question :eek: Those superlights are super flexy, thats about all the super they have in them.
I got a trance 2. I'm glad I didn't get the superlight; heard about how flexy it is. Yep, part of the trance brotherhood. Just wish I could ride; too much snow

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Yeah.......

..............those are spacers for internally adjusting the travel of the fork. It's actually quite a simple process to change the oil and travel at the same time and that's exactly what I did - first oil change I up'd the travel on mine from 100mm to 115m. Now with the 2006 REBAs I heard they had reduced the travel to only either 85mm or 100mm and no 115mm option. If you go into it (left stanchion as you sit on the bike) and find a spacer in there, then you can take it out and extend it to 115mm travel, however if there's no spacer you have one of the 85/100mm travel forks. Download the PDF Service Manual off Rock Shox site - it's a great manual, very clear and concise.

2fst4u said:
Some spacers came with my reba too(in the bag). What are they? And when should I use them??
As to the Crankset and bearings, I wouldn't worry to much about the OEM ones that come on the Trance they should be plenty good enough and pretty much similar to the XT outboard versions. If you're a bit worried you could pop off the dust seals and re-pack them with some real good grease and then if they crap out get some proper Enduro or Phil Wood bearings - I like the Enduro's as the work well, have the option of either Steel or Ceramic balls and Chris is a great guy to deal with.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.