Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Pro Crastinator
11,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
our trip suffered a drastic blow at the canadian customs office.....

while going thru the normal BS while crossing the border. we were asked if we had ever been arrested for anything.... while not thinking much about an arrest i had 15 years ago for an assault while i was 18, i said that i had been once before....

BIG MISTAKE!!!

i was then questioned about any infraction i had ever had; juvenile records, traffic tickets, and all the while being accused of lying and not telling them everything.

the customs agents servicing our situation, were on a head to head contest of who could be the biggest jerkofs.... accusing me of having stolen bikes because i brought more than one, stolen cameras and cell phones because there was also more than one...

completely unpacking our truck, i mean clothes out of suitcases, tents out of bags, food out of bags, bike stuff all over the place and then left in a massive pile for us to repack...

i was then taken into a room and essentially stripped and had photographs taken of all my tattoos...

all to be told i would not be allowed into canada because, get this, if i were to get arrested in canada for an assault i could possibly serve up to ten years for it....

all over something that happened 15 years ago when i was a kid.......

on the flip side, we went and rode northstar, mammoth and bootleg for a few days......

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Did you have your passport with you?

.WestCoastHucker. said:

while going thru the normal BS while crossing the border. we were asked if we had ever been arrested for anything.... while not thinking much about an arrest i had 15 years ago for an assault while i was 18, i said that i had been once before....

BIG MISTAKE!!!

i was then questioned about any infraction i had ever had; juvenile records, traffic tickets, and all the while being accused of lying and not telling them everything.

the customs agents servicing our situation, were on a head to head contest of who could be the biggest jerkofs.... accusing me of having stolen bikes because i brought more than one, stolen cameras and cell phones because there was also more than one...

completely unpacking our truck, i mean clothes out of suitcases, tents out of bags, food out of bags, bike stuff all over the place and then left in a massive pile for us to repack...

i was then taken into a room and essentially stripped and had photographs taken of all my tattoos...

all to be told i would not be allowed into canada because, get this, if i were to get arrested in canada for an assault i could possibly serve up to ten years for it....

on the flip side, we went and rode northstar, mammoth and bootleg for a few of days......

·
Pro Crastinator
11,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
binary visions said:
Never tell officials about anything that's no longer on your public record.......
i was threatened with being arrested if i didn't tell them every infraction i had on my record, he said "....and don't leave anything out, you know we have computers to look it up. if there is ANYTHING you neglect to tell us you will be placed under arrest...."

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
Hmmmm....

you sure you weren't just afraid of being schooled by a reformed xc guy? Your story seems a bit fishy to me :D

Seriously though, I remember feeling kinda nervous that we wouldn't get across for some reason when we were at the border. Sounds to me like those guys were just being super [email protected] for some unknown reason. The pics sure look like you and Mark made the most of it though. Im glad you didn't let it get you too down. When your wife told me you guys were out, it sounded like you were really freakin about it. Glad you still had fun. Peace man.

nam

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:

BIG MISTAKE!!!

on the flip side, we went and rode northstar, mammoth and bootleg for a few days......
that sucks so hard. your never allowed into canada again? damn thats pretty harsh. wch will never get to hit whistler.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
i was threatened with being arrested if i didn't tell them every infraction i had on my record, he said "....and don't leave anything out, you know we have computers to look it up. if there is ANYTHING you neglect to tell us you will be placed under arrest...."
arrest records are usually cleared after awhile. I know here after 5 years any arrests are supposed to be taken off the record, but you do have to check cus sometimes they arent.

American customs are just as bad, if not worse since they can ban you for like 5 years without any reason. There was a time when they were asking people if they had ever tried marijuanna in their life or knew people who had. Those dumb enough to say yes were automatically baned.

·
.WestCoastHucker. said:
bummer- that explains why I never heard from you for a Post Canyon session...

·
Registered
9,993 Posts
That sucks. We will have to put together a joint plan to get you into the country and up to Whistler.

I suggest we organize work parties on either side of the border to start digging a tunnel, that will only be known to MTBR members for use by those with sticky issues at the border........

Seriously though, sounds like you got a pair of jacka$$s working at the border at that point. I go across the Blaine crossing twice/month and have no problems going either way.

TJ

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
meant to ask you which crossing??

did you guys take the Peace Bridge or the "little" crossing point? We avoided the Peace Bridge completely and I think things were much smoother for us. Just wondered where you guys got hung up.

·
Pro Crastinator
11,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
namaSSte said:
did you guys take the Peace Bridge or the "little" crossing point? We avoided the Peace Bridge completely and I think things were much smoother for us. Just wondered where you guys got hung up.
the peace bridge sounds familliar...
but it was whichever one is straight up the I-5....

·
Registered
628 Posts
zedro said:
arrest records are usually cleared after awhile. I know here after 5 years any arrests are supposed to be taken off the record, but you do have to check cus sometimes they arent.

American customs are just as bad, if not worse since they can ban you for like 5 years without any reason. There was a time when they were asking people if they had ever tried marijuanna in their life or knew people who had. Those dumb enough to say yes were automatically baned.
US customs just as bad. I have a criminal record. The offence took place 15 years ago (possesion of narcotics), I've had a clean record since. I am not allowed in the US without a waiver from US immigration. I applied once, it took 9 months of shuffling paperwork and cost over $500. It was good for a year. I would have to re-apply every year to keep it current. I haven't even inquired if things have changed since 9/11. Your criminal record isn't erased unless you get a pardon from the Canadian govt. Since I've previously applied for a waiver, I'm in the US system for good, whether I get a pardon or not.

Now if for some reason I try to sneak across the border here's what happens:
I and anyone with me will be arrested and thrown in jail. My car or the car being used will be seized and impounded by US customs. I'm sure I will be searched in places that I don't even like to touch.

I can go anywhere else in the entire world. Just not to the US. Sorry there's nothing across that border worth the hassle, especially now that we have Krispy Kreme up here.

I'm not whining about border policies. I screwed up, I'm paying the consequences. What I am saying here boys and girls, is keep your nose clean. That little minor offence will haunt you for the rest of your life.

·
Registered
444 Posts
That really sucks...

Missed seeing you up at Whistler, Noel told me Saturday that you didn't make it through. Did manage to hook up with namaSSte and his crew for a ride Sunday, need to find out if they got their flight out okay. The ride was much longer than we expected.

Never have had that kind of trouble from the Canadian Customs people. The crossing was slow Saturday though, lots of people going up for the Faith Hill concert.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
davet said:
Your criminal record isn't erased unless you get a pardon from the Canadian govt. Since I've previously applied for a waiver, I'm in the US system for good, whether I get a pardon or not.
didnt say criminal record, was talking about arrests and charges without convictions; those are eventually purged

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
CraigH said:
Peace Arch.
That is the crossing on I-5.

The other is the truck crossing.

Peace Bridge is between Detroit & Windsor (I think)
dat's what I meant, Peace Arch. We used the truck crossing about 5 miles from there and it was pretty low key.

·
Registered
300 Posts
man, U.S. customs suck and I am pissed at bin laden and his goons cause they got in a whole lot easier than I did....I had to go through all sorts of crap. First, a $500-600 to the INS to start the paperwork....paperwork requires finger prints $, police records $, and a doctors visit (oh, not your local doctor, there is a special one and only one per state...so 3 hour flight to Brisbane to get that...more $$$). This was a K-1 fiance visa, so had to have pictures of girlfriend and me together....so flight to see eachother $$$2000. Then needed an ass load of letters/cards/"proof of relationship" documents sent to INS for $$$. About 6 months later (INS is slow!) get confirmation that I can spend more money on flying to Sydney and get my visa (since I can only get it at the US consulate)....so $$$ to Sydney and back....oh then I'm allowed to fly to the US...$$$2000...once in the U.S. have to get married within 3 months $$$22,000...then go get my permanent visa from the INS $$$...oh it only lasts a year so I have to spend $$$ to get another one for the next 3 years. Now I finally have a 10 year one which also cost $$$.

and here I am. Sounds like a Visa commercial....ability to eat krispy kreme everyday...priceless

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.