Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Harrumph
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oops I already posted in the old forum, but here goes in the new one. Short of using JB weld as loctite for my brake rotor bolts I can't keep them tight. So taking a page from avaition and auto racing I tried safety wire, how it's really supposed to be used, not just to keep grips on. If this keeps bolts tight on race cars and F-16's it'll keep my bike together.

Attachments

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
why are you using philips head screws instead of hex head bolts? maybe thats why they won't stay tight? I frequently buy stronger bolts than what came spec'd on my brakes at Lowe's or any otherhardware store they usually have section for heavy duty strength bolts that are harder and stonger. also blue locite and most importantly tighten to proper torque!
how does the wire work? does bolt then hold its neighbor bolts from losening?

·
Harrumph
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those bolts are actually "Torx" head, they were the only bolts I could find that were drilled and had a low enough profile. And that is exactly how they work, If one starts to loosen the wire keeps that bolt from losening and actually will try and tighten the neighboring bolts. Good Sig nature BTW, immortal words for gear heads.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Ummm......

Those are actually "Torq-Set" bolts, not Torx. Torx have six 'sides', those there have four. I wonder if you'll be able to get them out if they seize up, as those are meant to be driven in, not out, if I recall correctly. Sort of a tamper-resistant type thing. Not 100% sure about that though! Wait, they look like they'd be able to go either way, so nevermind :p

Bigger question is why are your bolts coming out???

Attachments

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Another option you can try is getting a set of the bolts shimano uses with their 6 bolt rotors. They are triangular and have a long washer that mounts between every two bolts and is is bent around the flat edges of the bolt head to keep it from spinning and coming loose.

·
Harrumph
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My bad, Torq-Set. They are made to go in easy and torque properly. I’ve never had any problems removing the safety wired Torq-Set bolts. I have done battle with the ones used to hold panels on aircraft, but they tend to seize in the locknuts and are usually painted over.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Is this really an issue?

The only times I've ever had a problem with loose Torx bolts on my disc rotors are when I've forgotten to add the lock-tite.

This seems like a bit of overkill to me however, I bet it looks kick ass on your bike.

Ken

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Ken in KC said:
The only times I've ever had a problem with loose Torx bolts on my disc rotors are when I've forgotten to add the lock-tite.

This seems like a bit of overkill to me however, I bet it looks kick ass on your bike.

Ken
I agree. I have never had a rotor bolt loosen. I just use LocTite and torque them to spec.

·
Harrumph
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Clark.....No ;) . Ok, Ok maby that is a bit overkill, but I was bored and it was snowing. I've always used 55in lb to torque and applied a bit more blue locktite to the factory thredlocker. But i still have to retighten most of the bolts every once and a while. Some things that might be causing my problems are the 203/185 rotors, deore and sub-deore hubs, my slow learning of trials using a free-ride bike, and my insistance on riding even when it is -20F. <SCRIPT type=***************> vbmenu_register("postmenu_3966", true); </SCRIPT>

·
Registered
87 Posts
Safety wire use

It is commonly stated that safety wire will keep the bolt "tight". However, the function of the wire is to keep the bolt from falling out should the bolt loosen. The thin wire is unable to provide any significant torque to the bolt head, no matter how tight you wrap it. A source of this, worth seeking out, is Nuts Bolts Fasteners and Plumbing Handbook, by Carrol Smith, MBI Publishing, Osceola, WI.

"Contrary to popular belief, even the best job of safety wiring will contirbute virtually nothing to the taks of preventing a bolt from loosening to the point where effective levels of residual stress disappears".

The rotor bolts are there to press the rotor tight to the hub shell. This is done by the proper torque. A common torque spec is about 60-inch pounds. The wire is unable to provide this kind of rotation.

·
Bent, not broken.
209 Posts
G-reg said:
Oops I already posted in the old forum, but here goes in the new one. Short of using JB weld as loctite for my brake rotor bolts I can't keep them tight. So taking a page from avaition and auto racing I tried safety wire, how it's really supposed to be used, not just to keep grips on. If this keeps bolts tight on race cars and F-16's it'll keep my bike together.
If you *really* want to keep your rotor bolts from loosening, use red loctite. Wiring your bolts is a nice touch, but as Calvin mentioned, it doesn't apply enough torque to keep the bolt from loosening into uselessness. What the wire does a darn good job at is letting you know a bolt is loose with just a glance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts