Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered XM 819 rims and now need to get real UST tires. My question is which is a better tire for climbing in dry, loose conditions, Kenda Nevegals or WTB Weirwolfs? Both are 2.1 I think.

If they are equal, anything else that should sway the decision one way or the other?

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
The Nevagal is a grippier tire and has far better side know design that enables it to turn faster and more securely. I've owned both and I would not buy a WW again given these new choices.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting after a year without using it, I through on my old Nevegal (tube version) this past weekend and couldn't believe how well it climbed and held in corners. However, I got a flat, and it reminded me that I seemed to get many more flats with the Nevegal. Its probably a coincidence because most my flats have not pinch flats, but I am getting supersticious about these tires. I was hoping the WW's would equal them, but I guess I am not surprised the Nevegals have better traction. I guess I can think about putting the WW's up front.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
As someone who by chance has both I can honestly say the difference is "night & day". I first had the Weirwolf and had it reversed on the rear and thought it climbed and gave traction like a mountain goat, then I got the Nevegals and they give you grip where you really shouldn't have it. I use the 1.95 DTC tubed version and it has worn quite quickly, I would not like to use a Stick-E version as a rear tyre unless funds weren't an issue and I could replace the tyre every 400 or so miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.