Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently am running a Kenda small block 8 2.1 in back, but want to run a Nevegal 2.1. how is the clearance between the chain stays? I run the Nevegal in front and dig it....what do you guys think? (my riding is dry and dusty SoCal).
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I'm running a 2.35 Nevegal on front and a 2.1 in the rear on my '08 HiFi Deluxe. No clearance issues whatsoever. I'm thinking I could even run a 2.35 back there, but haven't physically verified. With the 2.1 got about 6mm clearance to the chainstays on either side and maybe 10mm or more in front of the tire.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you like the Nevegals? When I put em on, it seemed like a different bike than with the Jones XR's. Like my LBS said, the Jones will make you a better rider, cause if you're not paying attention, it could have consequences!

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
mtbdan said:
How do you like the Nevegals? When I put em on, it seemed like a different bike than with the Jones XR's. Like my LBS said, the Jones will make you a better rider, cause if you're not paying attention, it could have consequences!
absolutely loving the Nevegals!! for the terrain i ride in they are amazing - they let the bike do what it was intended to do... the jones XR's belong in the garbage imo... the only thing they do well is low rolling resistance...

as opposed to making you a better rider, my opinion is that the XR's hold you back since they limit you more in the rough and loose stuff and are WAY less confidence inspiring... you end wasting your energy trying to not "lose it" instead of having faith in the equipment and concentrating on bike handling... i don't know of anyone who likes the jones XR after spending some time on them and especially after trying better tires... i thought i liked them at first, but had nothing to compare to... now that i'm riding on the Nev's (and tried some Velociraptors before that)... will never use the XR's again... but in the end, it's all personal preference... that's just my take on the Jones... you might like them...

cheers

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nope, I hated the Jones'. The point my LBS guy was trying to make was that when riding the Jones, your riding has to be perfect in technical sections, thus they teach you to pick perfect lines and weight shifts side to side and front to rear. if you make a mistake, you crash. The Nevegals (or another tire with more traction) make riding so much more enjoyable and rightly inspire confidence.

·
The White Jeff W
5,714 Posts
My take on the Jones XR. They suck.

They come on every bike from the Wahoo to the carbon Hi Fi. They put a generic tire on there figuring that most riders have a favorite tire & they're gonna change 'em anyways. My theory, anyways.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Well since Trek owns Bontrager, wouldn't expect anything but on their Trek/GF bikes. Probably the cheapest tire since it's their in-house brand. However, had they put ACX tubeless ready 2.35's or Big Eearl TLR ARC 2.35's on the HiFi - I might still be riding on those. Instead they stuck POS XR's on (probably for low rolling resistance and the pavement crowd). Too bad for Bontrager since that forces people to other brands because their initial impression of Bonty tires, thanks to the XR's, is pretty much ruined.

But oh well... I'm on Kendas now and very satisfied with them and have no intention to go back to XR's... Maaaaaaybe ACX's or Big Earl's (like <1% chance) - but they'd have to be close to free for me to even consider...

GF/Trek - are you listening??

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had 2.35 Nevegals on front and back of my 08 HiFi Carbon with no clearance issues. They are great tires, but were worn out so I put the Jones XR's that came with my bike back on and set them up tubeless. They were a snap to set up tubeless, but the first time I rode them on wet roots and rocks I was one unhappy camper. The traction on them was much worse than the Kendas. The XR's work fine on dry, hardpacked singletrack, I guess. I'm taking them off and getting another set of Nevegals.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
the DTC's wear out less quickly (and also less RR) than the Stick-E's I would assume - i run the DTC's with no problems... if i was in a constantly wet environment, Stick-E's would be worth it though...

·
Registered
19 Posts
New tires?

I have noticed that the Jones XRs do feel iffy on loose terrain. I believe that I am going to get new tires for my bike ('07 HiFi Deluxe), because I want to be able to ride without constantly worrying about my tires loosing their grip. Any suggestions on an upgrade at a reasonable price?
Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
i was running a 2.3 smallblock on the rear but had to stop because it was rubbing a groove into the frame. Now i have 2.3 smallblock front and nevegal 2.1 on rear.

This is tough coming from the cake that allowed for a 2.6 tire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.