Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Out of shear morbid curiosity, why that tire? It is kind of a pig, slower rolling, and being ust is more expensive than several other offerings. Just sayin ;)

If going ghetto I am more inclined towards tires like the Ardent 2.4 (faster rolling and about 100g lighter), High Roller in a 2.35 wire bead, or Minion DHF 2.5 wire bead single ply (similar weight, better performance).

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have.. just bought some ust rim strips. I use 2.1.... honestly I still ask my self why.. the tire is so heavy and ust saves weight with other set ups but not with nevegalust... its 880 grams!!! but, it grips better than any other or so I hear. I ride in NC where ground is soft so this tire is the best out here but in say texas you would want say a block8 cuz its hard packed..

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
six foot sloth said:
I have.. just bought some ust rim strips. I use 2.1.... honestly I still ask my self why.. the tire is so heavy and ust saves weight with other set ups but not with nevegalust... its 880 grams!!! but, it grips better than any other or so I hear. I ride in NC where ground is soft so this tire is the best out here but in say texas you would want say a block8 cuz its hard packed..
Balderdash!!

I am in Texas.... Austin specifically... And the Nevegal 2.35 is one of the best choices for our mixed surfaces including lots and lots of roots, rocks, rocks, and more rocks. Small Block8's suck around here according to the friends who've tried them... I haven't and probably won't. Between me and my riding buddy we've run 2.35 Nevs (non ust!) getto tubeless on rims from ritchey, mavic, and WTB(29er) and with Bontragers tubeless Race lights and Dusters, and Mavic's UST 819 rim. UST is a waste of money and grams IMO. Just put a healthy dose of your favorite sealant in and ride. My current 2.35 nev on duster rims is so solid and reliable it's mind boggling....what's a flat? I've forgotten.

And what's a "ust rim strip"? There are tubeless rim strips from Stans and others but that's a completely different thing from UST... And a true UST tire will always be heavier than it's non UST equivalent thanks to the extra layer of rubber in the casing. Don't mean to harsh on you, but you're making some questionable statements.

Anyway, nev 2.35 non-ust run tubeless with sealant kicks @ss!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
doismellbacon, are you running wire or folding bead? As far as the extra cost, $10 more for a tire isn't a big deal. I need a heavyer tire than a standered folding bead, I'm in AZ. Lots of sharp rocks that will cut tires, It's for an All Mountain setup. I'm trying to stop pinch flats. Thank for the feedback.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Most any tire converted tubeless will stop the pinch flats. From there it is down to your trails. If you have lots of thorns or sharp rock the thicker UST casings are a good thing.

I have run a 2.35 non-ust kevlar bead Nevegal converted via ghetto tube method. The grip and reduced rolling resistance were great. But the casing is pretty thin, so it punctured easily and lost a couple knobs.

The 2.35 UST is a bit different and near a pound heavier IIRC. The extra rubber does make it bomb proof though.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
azmxr177 said:
doismellbacon, are you running wire or folding bead? As far as the extra cost, $10 more for a tire isn't a big deal. I need a heavyer tire than a standered folding bead, I'm in AZ. Lots of sharp rocks that will cut tires, It's for an All Mountain setup. I'm trying to stop pinch flats. Thank for the feedback.
I've run 2.35 nevegal dtc in front and rear and 2.1 dtc and sticke, all Kevlar bead. Did shred a couple knobs on a rear 2.1. The 2.35's have held up great, and we're rocky.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.