Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 5 trouble free weeks running a 2.1 Nev in the rear on an X3.1 UST rim with STan's I finally ripped a hole in it last night.

It was inevitable.

The center knobs on the tire are just about trashed and I tore a hole at the junction of a center knob & the main casing while coming over a hard squared edged depression. I think it wouldn't have happened if the knobs weren't so worn but that stick-e rubber sure does wear quickly.

When the UST version is released this fall/winter I'll likely make the switch although I love the stick-E & will miss it. But the rocky terrain on the CO front range sure did a number on that tread.

For now....I'll either try another Stan'ed Nev or maybe, dare I say it, throw in a tube & see what happens.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
When the UST version is released this fall/winter I'll likely make the switch although I love the stick-E & will miss it.
So the UST version will not have Stick-E rubber? What a bummer; what's the point then?

BTW, I've been running running my 2.5's for the better part of a year and have no complaints about them wearing too quickly. Maybe this is another benefit of wide tires?

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Benefit: nice tread. UST more durable than conventional with STan's.
Disadvantage: no stick-E. not a big issue if the terrain is arid like it is on the front range of Colorado.

What type of terrain do you ride? Wear of the tire likely has much more to do with terrain that size. I'm only 165# with camelbak and completely trashed my Nev in under 6 weeks, but the terrain is mostly sharp rock.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Wear of the tire likely has much more to do with terrain that size.
I imagine so, but I was throwing out a hypothesis inspired by the idea that 29" tires wear more slowly. I guess that's an entirely different concept (less wheel rotations on a 29"er for a given distance traveled), but it made me think about wear on wider tires vs. skinnier tires.

Anyway the terrain I ride tends to be pretty rocky as well, but probably not quite as much as CO. Also, you may very well have gotten more rides in the last 5 weeks than I have in the last 5 months (on this bike/set of tires that is). Still, 5 weeks seems awfully short. What is a normal lifespan for your tires?

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good question, but hard to answer.

Previously I was able to get a minimum of 6 months, but I recently moved from the east coast. It's rocky there too, but a different type of rocky. The east had more baby-head rocks and gardens whereas out here the rocks are sharper & there are some places where the sandstone is quite Moab-esque with little dirt/sand between the rocks.

I'm not disappointed in the Kendas by any means. I expected the Stick-E to wear quickly and I'll probably convert my new one to Stan's this weekend since it was problem free for 6 good weeks and lots of miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts