Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Two wheels are best
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a set of Nevegal's (2.1's) on Saturday (thanks Speedgoat!) I was expecting them to be BIG tires due to how folks here and elsewhere are always stating that they are more like a 2.2 that a 2.1.

After mounting the front, I didn't really think they were all that big. I pulled out my dial caliper and measured the tread width at 2.07". I was wondering if they had sent me the 1.95's, but the sidewall lists the size as 2.1. I have these mounted on Mavic XC717 disc rims. Could rim width make that much of a difference in tread width?

I know a tenth of an inch or so isn't that big of a deal...I'm just a bit curious...

Oh, I got to ride them a bit over the weekend and though I think they are good, I'll reserve judgment until I get a lot more miles on them. They seem to roll quite well. Especially well compared to the Velociraptors I was riding. They certainly are head and shoulders better than the Mythos XC's I had on my bike over the last 10 days due to ripping my rear Velociraptor.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
DM-SC said:
I finally got a set of Nevegal's (2.1's) on Saturday (thanks Speedgoat!) I was expecting them to be BIG tires due to how folks here and elsewhere are always stating that they are more like a 2.2 that a 2.1.

After mounting the front, I didn't really think they were all that big. I pulled out my dial caliper and measured the tread width at 2.07". I was wondering if they had sent me the 1.95's, but the sidewall lists the size as 2.1. I have these mounted on Mavic XC717 disc rims. Could rim width make that much of a difference in tread width?

I know a tenth of an inch or so isn't that big of a deal...I'm just a bit curious...

Oh, I got to ride them a bit over the weekend and though I think they are good, I'll reserve judgment until I get a lot more miles on them. They seem to roll quite well. Especially well compared to the Velociraptors I was riding. They certainly are head and shoulders better than the Mythos XC's I had on my bike over the last 10 days due to ripping my rear Velociraptor.
Generally tires will be slightly narrower when:
  • mounted on narrower rims
  • inflated to lower pressures
  • first mounted
The difference between 40 psi and 60 can be 2 mm and after a tire is inflated for a day or two it can also increase in width by up to 2 mm.
Different tread designs also are affected differently by rim width.

The bottom line is the Nevegals are bigger than most other "2.1" tires. I do not like saying any tire "is more like a 2.XX than a 2.XX." That is why I have my Tire Site.

·
Two wheels are best
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just as you stated...

I measured them again last night. They are getting a bit bigger...after being mounted for about 48hrs, they've gone from 2.07" to 2.09".

I had never really thought about tires "growing". Now that you've enlightened me, it does make sense.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
DM-SC said:
I measured them again last night. They are getting a bit bigger...after being mounted for about 48hrs, they've gone from 2.07" to 2.09".

I had never really thought about tires "growing". Now that you've enlightened me, it does make sense.
The other issue is no tire is the same width/height round the whole casing. For my Site specs I measure the tire at four different points and average. A 1-2 mm range is common.

·
Two wheels are best
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shiggy©®™ said:
The other issue is no tire is the same width/height round the whole casing. For my Site specs I measure the tire at four different points and average. A 1-2 mm range is common.
I had already thought of that and used the same method as you...execption being, I measured 3 points around the tire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.