Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
outclassed by his bike
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Nevegal Stick-E 2.1 I had on the back of my Burner wore out and I needed new rubber. I had been happy with that tire, but, never satisfied, wanted to try something that might be a bit lighter and faster-rolling without being smaller. Decided to try a Nobby Nic 2.25, damn the expense. Word was that the 2.1 was way small and that the 2.25 was more like a 2.1., so that's what I got. Here's what I found:

Tire weight was 580 gm - about the same as my very worn Kenda and 10gm heavier than advertised. On the first ride - 2 hours - conditions were exceptionally dry for Maine. I was really happy with the tire - gripped well and seemed fast, although this is so subjective an evaluation as to be probably meaningless. For sure it was way quieter than the Nevegal on the 100 yards of pavement we rode. Cornering was good, but then I'm light and don't tend to roll knobs or tires.

After this ride and a couple of days had gone by, I measured the tire with a caliper. Tread width same as Nevegal, but casing size a solid 1/8" bigger in both width and height. So I'm thinking that it doesn't really run so small after all, if you're talking about the casing. This makes the weight seem pretty decent for the size.

We had a week of mist and rain and were back to normal conditions: Lots of slippery rocks and roots. In these conditions, I discovered, the Nobby Nic's grip is totally lame compared with the Stick-E, and even - if memory serves - with the Weirwolf I'd ridden recently on the back when I had to throw on a spare wheel due to a broken spoke. After this I took the pressure down from my normal 28 to 24, figuring that the larger volume should support this and hoping to get more cling. A second long ride in these conditions confirmed my first impression. Pitches that I have ridden dozens of times and clean routinely were nearly unrideable. Only saving grace was that I didn't put it on the front!

I now have a couple of these on eBay, if you've made it through this compelling sales pitch. Seriously, if you live in a dry climate, you might love them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Good to know. I generally don't like riding in slime but when I do I don't want to ride like a pu$$ because I have no confidence in my tires. I had a set of Schwalbes once, Ralphs I think, and they were useless with any bit of slight moisture. Nevs are my fave at the moment

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Welcome back Q, seems like a long time since you posted. :thumbsup:

Tnx for the regional review. So much better than "eyeh likes dis tire its' perfect fors evyone". Dammm man you can run 24PSI? I'd bust a rim in my driveway at that pressure.:D

If you still feel like experimenting (with your own money) Try a set of 2.1 Maxxis High Rollers. I really like it on the typical North Eastern conditions. They're a great price too. Suprisingly good grip for a non-stick-E type tire. Great traction, great rolling.

·
gravity curmudgeon
1,502 Posts
Sticky rubber nev trounces dual tread nev and ust nev in wetter conditions. The sticky is just slower than molasses. I've run all of those. No surprise the NN falls short in the conditions you describe. NN's claim to fame is as a fast rolling tire that is OK at lots of things but not great at any. However, in loose gravel/rock covered mineral soil trails, the NN would be my choice over the nev. Everything is a tradeoff.

Sub 30 psi? I might make out it of the driveway but would destroy tire and rim within a block unless it was the UST version.

zilla, I am definately going to try the High Roller one of these days. I had a well worn used one I ran as a rear tire several years back with a Minion DHR in the front - came with a used bike I bought. I am currently playing with some Minion DHFs, although those aren't winning me over yet.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I completely concur with Q. I recently started using Nobby Nics on the Flux and while they are great in dry weather or slightly loose conditions, they absolutely suck on wet rock.

I went on a ride to the SMBA trails in Saratoga Springs and had the NN 2.1 on the bike and I was slipping and sliding all over the place. I like the NN in the front but I prefer a stickier tire in the rear if the weather hasn't been perfect.

Tomorrow I am trying NN up front and Mich XCR X'trem 2.0 in the rear. I have liked the Michy in the past, we'll see how they perform at Blue Mtn.

·
outclassed by his bike
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bikezilla said:
Try a set of 2.1 Maxxis High Rollers. I really like it on the typical North Eastern conditions. They're a great price too. Suprisingly good grip for a non-stick-E type tire. Great traction, great rolling.
Are they real 2.1s, or masquerading 1.95s, as some 2.1s seem to be?

·
Hike 'n Bike Nat'l Champ
208 Posts
I've been thinking about the High Rollers as well. Thinking 2.3 UST in the front with a 2.1 Nev or something in the back.

Do the HRs run skinny?

It seems from the review above that the Nics would make a good summer tire. Do the Nics run skinny as well?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I also like the High Rollers. In wet slippery conditions they grip surprisingly well, probably because they seem to clear our mud better than the Nevagal/Blue Grove combo. In the dry, they are exceptionally fast rolling for their size/weight, and you can push the side knobs insanely hard through the corners. The only thing I don't think they don't like much is long off-camber trails - they are too square and you end up riding on one side of them all the time, rather than the middle of a rounder profile tire.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
SportDerek said:
I've been thinking about the High Rollers as well. Thinking 2.3 UST in the front with a 2.1 Nev or something in the back.

Do the HRs run skinny?

It seems from the review above that the Nics would make a good summer tire. Do the Nics run skinny as well?
I would say the Nobby Nics run very skinny. I use 2.1 and they are on par with 1.9 or 2.0 by other manufacturers. My Maxxis HR 2.3 is about as wide as a Nevegal 2.1.

I really like the Nobby Nics for hardpack or loose over hardpack terrain (think Stewart or 909) but I find them to be too tentative on granite, and if the rock is wet then just forget it.

·
gravity curmudgeon
1,502 Posts
NNs are definately skinny. The 2.4s are more like 2.25s, although high volume. The UST versions are more solid and have a better feel than the tubed version, IMO. I love the UST NNs on the my flux.

Another ride on the Minion DHFs. These too are narrow for their size. The 2.35s are maybe the size of 2.1 Nevs. I like how these tires roll and feel, and the fore-aft traction is very good. They are solid and comfortably consistent through rock gardens. But hit a loose, unconsolidated mess of a trail section while cornering, and you are into tokyo drift if you are lucky. I am afraid Big Betties have ruined me for what I now expect in a tire (for my riding geography and interests), except for weight.

·
Registered
187 Posts
NN compared to Big Betty?

Thanks for the feedback on the Nobby Nics. I had the same experience awhile back with Fat Alberts. Awesome when dry, death when wet. Even as we speak I am looking to replace my worn 2.1 Nevegal Stik Es. I rode non sticky tires today on wet roots and rocks (WTB Weirwolfs, a tire I like fine when it's dry), and couldn't deal with all the slipping. Head space went down the tubes, got tentative, made many stupid mistakes that led to crashes in places where I haven't fallen in in ages. Ugly, very ugly. The worn Neves went back on the bike tonight. That said, I'd like something that rolls a little better if possible, but I'll take slow rolling if that's the price I have to pay for confidence on the slippery stuff. I know Big Bettys are heavy. How noticeable is that? How are they for rolling resistance? (I did a search and didn't come up with the answers I was looking for, other than they seem to roll well). Anyone got an opinion on the Big Betty vs the Neve? Or any other sticky tire for that matter? Thanks.

·
outclassed by his bike
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tire Measuring / Flea-Bitten Burner Beats Shiny Flux

Bikezilla said:
qc tell me how you measure them and I'll try to measure mine.
Nothing advanced. I have an old Vernier caliper that I inherited from my Dad - no metric graduations. I just put it over the widest part of the casing, sliding it between the knobs.

Nevegal '2.1': 1&15/16"
Nobby Nic '2.25': 2&1/8"

The whole thing may be moot. I'm definitely going back to the Nevegal for now, after my experience today. It's just more fun, and fun is what it's all about for me.

I was in a rather grueling race this morning - oozing against my will into the afternoon - trying (unsuccessfully) to catch much fitter guys climbing three times up to the top of a ski area and back down again. I was totally fine on any kind of soil - dry, moist, wet. On any hard surface, though, forget it: slipsville. The REALLY weird thing though is the way the back end of the bike was bouncing around like a hardtail in sections of roots or babyhead rocks. The O-Ring on the shock shows that I only used about 3/4 of the travel, which makes no sense given some of the g-outs and down-steps that we hit on the way down. Thing is, my shock never needs adjusting - I only touch the pressure a couple times a year. It just works. (Pushed.) I suppose it could suddenly have bit the big one, but I suspect there's something about the tire that's doing this.

ON THE UP SIDE ;) This is the second race in a row where there's been a guy who looks younger than I, riding an extremely sweet and new-looking Orange Ano Flux with carbon cranks and the whole high-end kit. (Turners are scarce here. I haven't seen more than about a half-dozen total... ever.) Makes my flea-bitten Burner look a bit pitiful. However, I left him behind again today. :cool: (Dude, if you're reading this, nice meeting you again.) Virtual pat on the head for my Burner goes here.

·
1,316 Posts
Bikezilla said:
If you still feel like experimenting (with your own money) Try a set of 2.1 Maxxis High Rollers. I really like it on the typical North Eastern conditions. They're a great price too. Suprisingly good grip for a non-stick-E type tire. Great traction, great rolling.
Zilla,
So I know NE east is rocky, rooty and often wet (especially with wet leaves) A lot of trails in and around Prague are similar minus the rocks. (Think wet roots and leaves) Are you saying HRs are decent on this as well???

(I know there is no tire that is great for wet roots but everything I have tried lately just sucks)

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
1,926 Posts
I used to use 2.1 HRs on my Burner and really liked them. I thought they looked wimpy when I went to a Spot and I moved to 2.4 Mutanoraptors which I love. Fast, lots of cush, and grip well.

·
1,316 Posts
RedRocker said:
I used to use 2.1 HRs on my Burner and really liked them. I thought they looked wimpy when I went to a Spot and I moved to 2.4 Mutanoraptors which I love. Fast, lots of cush, and grip well.
Red,
I liked 2.4 Mutanos in AZ when I lived there - great front tire in dry dusty conditions but how are they in the wet??? My IRC Trailbears have a nice tread pattern and grip ok at lower pressures but suck when it gets wet. Especially on roots. I think the rubber compound is just too hard. I dont remember the Mutanos being any softer (it was kind of a good thing on the rocks in AZ)

I guess I could give em a shot again...

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
1,926 Posts
The race versoin is really sticky when they're new. The first ride I had them on was a long weekend in sort of soupy conditions (one Ventana owner was complaining about his finish afterwards). I thought they did fine. Better than the HRs.
Yeah, that's mud. Yeah, I paid for posting that.

There's kind of a stigma around here about riding wet trails so I don't do that too often.

FWIW - I've got Neves on my 29er SS and they've been fine. Good traction climbing and they bite in corners too. I haven't ridden any other 29er tires so I don't have anything to compare with on big hoops.

·
1,316 Posts
RedRocker said:
The race versoin is really sticky when they're new. The first ride I had them on was a long weekend in sort of soupy conditions (one Ventana owner was complaining about his finish afterwards). I thought they did fine. Better than the HRs.
Yeah, that's mud. Yeah, I paid for posting that.

There's kind of a stigma around here about riding wet trails so I don't do that too often.

FWIW - I've got Neves on my 29er SS and they've been fine. Good traction climbing and they bite in corners too. I haven't ridden any other 29er tires so I don't have anything to compare with on big hoops.
Haha,
Yeah I remember that thread, that is a good pic. Hmmm, well okay so next time I'm back in the USof A I will pick me up a set of HRs and some new Mutano Races. I always did like the size of the tire (at least the 2.4s)

In the meantime Ive got some Nobby Nics and a Fat Albert on the way (not so expensive buying straight from Germany when you are right next door)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.