Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nevegal FAIL ***Updated Great Customer Service***

I purchased these Nevegals about 2 years ago. At that time I had ridden my Velociraptors until they were bald and just not holding lines anymore. I was ridding an average of 40 miles a week. When I bought the Nevegals things in my life changed and I wasn't riding more than maybe once a month and sometimes every other month. So even though the tires are old, they really haven't had many miles put on them. So recently I noticed a knobbie missing. At that point I looked at the rear tire and you could see that there were a bunch of them that were loose and buying a new tire was near in the future. However if I looked at my front tire everything was still holding together well. So a few rides later and you get what's in the image. Part of me is just thinking that the tire got old. But I don't understand why both tires wouldn't fall apart like this. Is it normal to have this happen on an old tire? I've never had anything like this happen to me in the past so it's new to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have experienced the same thing on my Nevegals as well. I thought maybe I had bought a defective tire so bought another one and it did the same thing. A friend of mine has had the same issue so it seems Kenda is having issues. Until they fix the problem I have bought my last Kenda tire.

·
newless cluebie
537 Posts
Haven't had that happen to me before, I've had three pairs of Nevegals. First two sets the center knobs definitely wore out before the side knobs. Which Nevegals were these? I've only ever used the UST 2.35s.

·
newless cluebie
537 Posts
I dunno, I still see the sipe slits on the most of the secondary transition knobs, so skidding at that angle to shear off the outer knobs would mean the secondary knobs would show wear, which we don't see.

Most of the center knobs also still have their sipe slits too.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the funny thing, I am far from a skidder. Besides I don't see how skidding would wear the sides of the tires unless you are doing skidding slides in parking lots like elementary kids do. The only thing I could think of is riding places like Rockville where you are on a rock and just grabbing it from the side. The first ride I noticed the problem I just finished bombing down the Confluence trail in Auburn. (Sorry about the trail references, I just remembered I'm not in the NorCal forum.) That place has a lot of rocks but you would think that front tire would take more abuse than the rear. Most of the places and trails I pick are more technical. I'd say the lines I choose are that way as well. I don't really take the easy line. I take the one that I think will be difficult but still is ride able.

@Georgia, I was actually wondering if it was a defective tire as well. I've never had any other tire come apart like that. I've been riding mountain bikes since the early 90's. My previous set of tires easily had a 1500 miles on them and they never tore like that. I considered buying another rear. Instead I gave the front to a buddy and bought new tires.

I really liked how the tires rode, and they hooked up well. It just seems unfortunate that they would come apart like that.

@Vaelin: They are 2.35's not the StickE ones but the regular compound.

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
It looks like a defect, but normally a defect would show up in the first few rides on the tire, not after a couple of years.
I had an IRC Mythos that did the same thing, but it happened immediately when the tire was new.

In the tire fab process, the tread rubber is laid down on the casing, and the edge of that tread rubber is just beyond where those side knobs end. Sometimes the interface gets contaminated, so that a good bond does not form between the tread rubber and the skim rubber that covers the cords in the casing.
Another cause is if the skim rubber or tread rubber is old and there is poor tack when they are laid together. Or, the rubber could be partially cured (from hot extrusion), so that when it goes into the mold, the interface doesn't bond well.

It could also be the skim rubber coming off the cords. the cords and top and bottom skim are calendered together to form a fabric. If there isn't good penetration of rubber into and around the cords, it pulls apart.

By the look of it, it is an interface problem.

Too much info sorry. :)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking about that, however the bike was always stored in my garage before the divorce and now inside my apartment. I was thinking that heat could have been an issue, but my knee jerk reaction is that both tires would have suffered the same fate. Or for that matter the tires I had before that would have done something similar. Too bad I tossed the tire after I replaced it. I was thinking I should have mailed it to Kenda and see what they would have done for me.

·
newless cluebie
537 Posts
Kenda would replace it. I've spoken to the reps a few times at the Kenda booth during Sea Otter, and they're very open about replacing any tires shipped to them.. pretty much to the point of even if it's obvious that it's just simple wear and tear.

Side note: Funny, I'm in the same boat as you. Bikes in garage until divorce, now in apartment with bikes indoors.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Vaelin, after reading what you said I decided to dumpster dive at the apartment and pull that tire out. I sent the above picture to Kenda and an email to see what they say. Worst case scenario I'm out of a little time. Best case they replace the tires. Once I pulled it out of the trash I looked at the front tire that I haven't given to my buddy yet and some of the knobbies are pulling off the front tire too. Just not completely separated yet. So we'll see what happens from here.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I got an email back this morning and they wanted to know how old the tire was. I figured this would come into play. So I told them they were 2 years old but didn't really ride them much as you can see by the tread on the tires. This is what I got back:
Dear Robert,

Kenda limited warranty will cover manufacture defects for the first year from the date of purchase therefore my hands are tie. Anyhow, what I can do for you is to replace one of the tires under warranty, and I can sale you the second tire at dealer price $29.00 plus shipping. If this is ok, I will need a picture that shows both tire destroyed (cut in two pieces), provide both tires forming number: a 9-10 digit number print inside of the tire casing, your phone number, shipping address, and your tire tires choice., and I will process the warranty and tire order asap.
Please advice.
Thank you for your patience and cooperation.
Sincerely,

Stefano Lumbaca
Kenda Tires

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I'm stoked to get a set of tires for that price! Honestly before this post I just assumed it was what it was and already bought new tires. They jut so happened to be Kenda Slant 6, so it not like I was anti Kenda by any means. I really didn't even think about sending them back until a few days later. Fortunately the trash wasn't picked up yet. I'm really happy that they were willing to offer that.

·
newless cluebie
537 Posts
Happy it worked out. Every year during Sea Otter I hit up the Kenda booth to buy some Nevegal USTs for the season. I think they've started to recognize me, so this year I chatted with one of the reps.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It sounds as though there may be a little problem with them. I think it's odd to hear a handful of people on here saying they have experienced the same problem. I'd think if this was common I would have seen this before on another tire in all my years of bmx and mt. biking.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.