Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have these three choices for a front tire to replace my boat anchor Gazzaloddi:

Nevegal 2.1 ( since Kendas run big, will it be close to a 2.3?)

Syncros Point n' Chute 2.35 (weakness: folding bead, but better for 4X)

Maxxis High Roller 2.35 any compound ( the people's champ, but finding one a pain)

what would you choose, or any suggestions?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I run 2.35 Nevegals. I wouldn't consider them excessively wide. If you are looking at other tires in the 2.35 I wouldn't step down with the Nevegal. It is definately narrower than my WTB Timberwolf(2.4).
I've replaced tires several times and the Nevegal makes a good all around tire. I only run it in the rear though. For myself I prefer something a little more knobby in the front.

·
SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tacubaya, I found 2.7 high rollers in my LBS, would that be OK enough or still too big?

And feedback on the Point' n' chute will be greatly appreciated.

·
SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
crazy Jim said:
I have a metric tonne of Maxxis 2.35 HRs in my garage. well maybe four.............
Well, in my country when people say "Maxxis", "Minion", or "High Roller" they get sold out in double-quick time. Heck, I found my Larsen TT 2.35 coz' of dumb luck.

So many tires to see, but Maxxis? you need the right timing at your LBS, because everyone's fighting for them.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have used Nevegals in 2.35, Kinetics in 2.6, and now have Minions in 2.5 on. All are good but the Minions seem a lot heavier. Out of all three my favorite were the Kinetics in 2.6 but the Minions for pure DH are pretty tough to beat.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I ran a rear syncros Point n' Chute on the rear this summer. It's very fast rolling due to low knobs but this also means it's shite in wet conditions. I rode everything from XC to FR on it and it hooked up well in the dry.

Usually run 2.35 stick-e or DC nevegals and they're great for all around riding, but obviously with the more aggressive treads they're slower.

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Minion 2.35 front never lets up and i am trying it with a holy roller rear, nice and fast. No Maxxis available in Korea so rolling with what I gotz. Will have to try Kenda nevagals unless I can have someone bring in tires for me. Back to topic never run a high roller front but wicked on the rear.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
personally i don't like the high roller in the front (in the back great) I feel it doesn't gribp good enough in the corners....I like the Minnion better for a front

·
Banned
47 Posts
Stay away from Nevegals...bad bad tires....really bad traction. I've run them in mud, sluff, hard pack, all terrain, never good traction. Don't listen to MBA, they get large advertsing $$ to give them the ratings they do.

Maxxis rules, been running different tires for the past 4 years, again all different terrain...Amazing traction... The high roller in rear/minion front great combo... but lately the ones that kicks all ass are Mobsters front and rear. Traction amazing...deeps sluff to mud, and of course hard pack...these tires haved saved me many times from going over, and not one flat in the 4 years running. I like to run my PSI 25-30 rear 20-28-front.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.