Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked up an '07 redline mono-9. i'd like to get a shock for it but know nothing about 'em, been a lifetime roadie that been sucked into this new, muddy, dirty world. :devil:

i'm hoping to stay between $200-300 and don't mind getting an older one if the deal is a good one. i've looked at the reviews and feel i can stay in that price range with what guys have to stay about what's good and what's not. one thing i'm really not sure about is what range of travel i should stay in. i'm 6' 2'', 230-ish lbs. doesn't the range of travel affect the ride height of the shock?

if i stick with a reba, even an older one, have they been a good shock in the past? and i though fox had a good name. any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

thx for y'alls time. cheers, jason:thumbsup:

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
Quick and dirty review of shocks in your price range.
NEW (maybe old stock) in your price range you are looking at Rock Shox Tora, OLD Marzocchi's (stay away from), and maybe the RST M-29 and Spinner 2 Niner. The Tora is a bit heavier, but not killer heavy and it is VERY stiff for a QR fork. Ride quality is close to the Reba. M-29's and the 2 Niner's are pretty rare, but have gotten good reviews (check twentynineinches.com) For Tora's look at ebay, Chainreactioncycles.com, Jenson and believe it or not Amazon has Tora's from time to time at a really good price.
Oh and the Clearance Manitou at Jenson (100mm Thru Axle) for $260 is an insane deal, but you might need a new front wheel...

USED you are looking at 06-08 Reba's and some White Brothers. The Reba's aren't as stiff (steering wise) as the Tora or any of the White Brothers, BUT have BOMB-PROOF quality and ride really nicely. White Brothers have people that swear by them and are reported to have great customer service should you need a rebuild or something. I've only ever ridden older ones and they were stiff but not that plush.
You may also see Maverick forks, they are thru axles (again, you might need a new wheel)
Oddly Manitou Minutes on ebay/craigslist are more than the Jenson price so you probably won't find them too often in your price range, but that could change...

I love my Tora, go over the the shock forum and you'll see a lot of people love them.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
if you have a local mtb forum look on there... i've scored an '08 tora off a g2 fisher cobia from somone upgrading for $125... just waiting for paypal to transfer $$$ then it's mine :)...

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
i am about your size, and i ride a tora on my hardtail. i have no complaints at all. it gets used on some very rocky trails. there are a ton of them on e-bay in the $250-$275 range. i acutally saw a used one go for $78 the other day. bidding ended after i went to bed so, i missed out.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
guys thanks much for your time and replies. thanks for the good info. y'all are so right, there are a bunch of tora's out there, think i'll start my bidding there.

another question tho: are all shock that are say '07 or newer going to have a mount for disc brakes? or are they new enough that some will, some won't? i know they're not new, just not sure how common they have been in the last few yrs to make that a standard mount on all forks.

hope you have a great and muddy new yr. :cornut: :cornut: :cornut:

thx again, jason

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
All the forks your looking at will have disc mounts, its been pretty standard since about 1999 (my last non-disc fork was a 1998 Marzocchi Z-3)

The harder option (though still available) is finding one for V-Brakes.

I'm close to your size and I have a Tora as well. I can honestly say its one of the best forks I've owned...that includes owning two Fox 26er forks. Yes, its heavy...but so laterally stiff and also quite plush.

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
Just on ebay looking for a fork for the fiance and WOW there are a ton of Reba 29er forks on there for good prices... just a heads up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.