Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
see me rollin, they hatin
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, i got this used so no returns. Anyway, i've recorded on a few different days. 2 out of those three days had a neon lighting glitch that forms in bright areas. On another day, it wasnt there at all (also a sunny day). I want to research this issue, but dont know how to word it. i saw some people had a similar problem on their ipads and it had to do with software. Anyway, here's an example of what it looks like (low res crappy video to show the glitch). I've owned two other contours and have never seen this.

·
Rabid Lana Fan
10,220 Posts
Kinda sounds like a bad image sensor in the camera.

But, I would try a couple things to see if you can make it better. How do you configure the settings, you use the Story Teller software? You can use that to make config settings, or you can just edit the config file that lives on the SD card. I think it's called FW RTC or something like that. It should be in the root of the SD card once you use the camera to format the card.

If you open that file with a text editor like Notepad, you will see the config settings at the top, and down towards the bottom, it will have explanations of what each setting does and what to change to make different settings.

I would change settings like exposure compensation, white balance, anything like that, just trying different settings for each thing, just to see if you can find a setting where the anomaly goes away.

Also, did you format the card, using the camera to format it? Maybe try a different SD card, just to see.

Hate to say it, but if none of these things make a difference, it's a bad sensor in the camera.

·
Rabid Lana Fan
10,220 Posts
Forgot to mention, if you edit the card manually to make config changes, you have to change the first line in the file that reads "UPDATE?" from "N" to "Y".

That is the first line it reads when booting up, and that line tells it if there are changes in the config or not. If it reads "N", then it just boots up based on the last time it booted, without consulting the config file to see if anything changed since last time. It just uses the config in it's ROM on the camera board.

If that line reads "Y", then it knows something has changed from what it has stored in config, and will read the whole fie to find that change(s) and apply it to the ROM on the camera.

It will also change that line in the config file back to a "N" once it makes the change(s) to the camera.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.