Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this isn't exact vintage seeing as how this bike is only a year old, but I thought I would post it because I feel it has somewhat of a retro feel.

I have been wanting to track down a late 80s to early 90s Kona for some time. Unfortunately, anything I find is either too small or too expensive (or so I thought before I spent way too much on this one). Anyway, when I decided to buy a new commuter bike, this Kona Smoke really caught my attention. You strip away the fenders and, WOW, this looks just like one of their old bikes! This bike is a far cry from its stock form, fenders aside. When I first got it, I immediately tossed the stock components and purchased some cheapish SRAM SX4 stuff. That all stayed on the bike for a while until I decided I didn't like the shifters with the weird integrated thumb and forefinger lever. So, that is when I went crazy and upgraded everything again.

So, now that I have finished tinkering with the bike, I have noticed some very retro qualities in the bike:

1.) Rigid and Steel! - Who needs suspension when you have a butter smooth steel frame? I suspect this shares the same frame geometry as the older rigid Kona bikes. (If someone can link me to a website with older Kona bike geometry, I'd love to compare it to mine). At least it looks retro, especially with that wonderful P2 fork.

2.) Anything But Shimano - From the day I got the bike, I was passionate about removing anything made by Shimano. Was this not a popular attitude adopted by some back in the 90s? The bike is all SRAM/Avid/Truvativ.

3.) 8 Speed Rules! - The bike began life as an 8 speed, but when I decided to upgrade to SRAM X7, I was very tempted just to get a 9 speed cassette, chain, and shifters and call it a day. Even though the 9 speed SRAM stuff works much better than Shimano, I was still leary. Regardless of which brand I chose, 8 speed is always going to last longer and shift better. 8 speed won my decision.

I also feel the handlebar gives it somewhat of a retro flair. The On One Mary bar reminds me of the old North Road style handlebars you find on 3-speed roadster type bikes. The bars combined with the Ergon grips definately make this a super comfortable bike to ride. I also feel like the bars give me a better stance for climbing hills. Pretty cool.

Anyway, hope ya'll enjoy.

Attachments

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,914 Posts
While the frame/fork does look like an early 90s model, that stem angle is SOOOO wrong.

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What might be wrong for a 90s bike is so right for my bulging discs in my lower back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.