Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to swap out my 150mm Z1 Light to a 100mm that will work both at the pump/DJs as well as the occasional trail ride.

From the reviews it seems the argyle is very adjustable as far as compression goes so I'm not too worried about the small bump compliance on the trail, or the lack of progressiveness.

How does the Nemesis-tuned Z1 100mm compare? Of course it's going to be one laterally and tortionally stiff fork, but can it be set to the buttery smoothness of the stock marz Z1, or is it a purely DJ fork so it's rather stiff and not as adjustable with the compression?

I'm a bit partial to Marzocchi, but the Argyle does seem nice too.. just wondering on which would be more versatile for both the DJs and trail ride.

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
You'll have a slightly lower A2C height than an argyle, if it matters at all to you.

I personally own a 75mm '06 Z1 sport tuned by nemesis project. It has the lighter 4X WC internals in it rather than the Z1 internals, but the damping system is the same(RCV).

I've taken this fork on trail rides, skatepark, jumps, pump tracks, bmx tracks, light dh, drops etc, it takes it all. I simply dialed in my desired rebound, added the amount of air I like and went off for a ride.

Yes, IMO, the fork can be buttery smooth(this is due to the complete polishing of all internal moving parts that comes along with the tuning) and extremely stiff. As far as compression adjustements go, I simply add or remove air as needed.

I think both are relatively equal as regarding to weight, so this is a non-issue.

The only advantage the argyle has over the tuned Z1 would be the floodgate adjustement which rocks on trail rides and such.

So basically it's really a matter of which fork you like best, because you'll be satisfied with both IMO.

·
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey Snaky,
What is going on with Brad's email? I keep getting failures when sending to [email protected]

Anyways, I think you ride/work/are close with him so maybe I can ask you....
do you know if he has any of the grey Z1 100mm ready to ship and if not .. how long the wait is? Are they $500 (I think I ready $550 somewhere too).
Does he still have the 06 or has he moved onto mod-ing to 07s?

You mentioned adding/removing air for compression (preload?).. the Sport comes with an external knob of comp.. is that removed for the mod?

Let me know or PM me!
Thanks!

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
unfluid one said:
Hey Snaky,
What is going on with Brad's email? I keep getting failures when sending to [email protected]

Anyways, I think you ride/work/are close with him so maybe I can ask you....
do you know if he has any of the grey Z1 100mm ready to ship and if not .. how long the wait is? Are they $500 (I think I ready $550 somewhere too).
Does he still have the 06 or has he moved onto mod-ing to 07s?

You mentioned adding/removing air for compression (preload?).. the Sport comes with an external knob of comp.. is that removed for the mod?

Let me know or PM me!
Thanks!
Brad does not have anymore grey z1's as they were '06 and I think I got the last one(thanks Brad!). He currently has the 4x WC forks in stock (or had a few a week or two ago, they may have been sold)though, and they are 450 all the way up to 550, depending on what type of tune you'd like. The regular tune includes a full rebuild with fresh oil, setting them to whatever travel you like(the 4X is 110mm stock, and can be lowered all the way down to approx 45mm), mirror polishing of all internal moving parts(including the piston rods) and a proprietary titanium spacer that also acts as a high speed compression shim. You can also have an all-air fork(for lighter weight) using doppio air cartridges.

His older e-mail does not work anymore, you can now reach him at his personal e-mail address: [email protected].

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
paintballeerXC said:
Brad is going through some rough times so hopefully soon he will get everything worked out. o and about the fork. brads one is very very good
Huh I wouldn't consider my current time's "rough":rolleyes:
Not after just signing a new consulting deal to design a line of art bikes to be sold a uber high end retailers like Fred Segal :eekster: Yea NO BS signed the contract last friday !
Check already cleared my account $$:)

The company has been going through a small restructuring period , with Kris being brought on as our new sales rep and Jeff Holt of DLX marketing being brought on to handle our OEM and dist sales , team management and marketing for the company .
It's hard when your one of the little guys to make the jump to the big leagues but stay tuned we have big things ahead here at Nem-Pro

Marzocchi has been out of stock on the 06" Z-1 sports for quite some time now .
They can still be had from Price-Point and sent to us to be tuned .

We had been tuning WC4x also this year with very good luck but alas MArzocchi is also currently completely out of stock of this fork until the 08 stuff starts arriving sometime around the end of September .

If your looking to get a fork tuned right now the best best is to acquire the fork through online retailers and send the fork into us here at Nemesis Project cycles to have it tuned in house .

Thanks
-Brad
Nemesis Project

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Evil4bc said:
Huh I wouldn't consider my current time's "rough":rolleyes:
Not after just signing a new consulting deal to design a line of art bikes to be sold a uber high end retailers like Fred Segal :eekster: Yea NO BS signed the contract last friday !
Check already cleared my account $$:)

The company has been going through a small restructuring period , with Kris being brought on as our new sales rep and Jeff Holt of DLX marketing being brought on to handle our OEM and dist sales , team management and marketing for the company .
It's hard when your one of the little guys to make the jump to the big leagues but stay tuned we have big things ahead here at Nem-Pro

Marzocchi has been out of stock on the 06" Z-1 sports for quite some time now .
They can still be had from Price-Point and sent to us to be tuned .

We had been tuning WC4x also this year with very good luck but alas MArzocchi is also currently completely out of stock of this fork until the 08 stuff starts arriving sometime around the end of September .

If your looking to get a fork tuned right now the best best is to acquire the fork through online retailers and send the fork into us here at Nemesis Project cycles to have it tuned in house .

Thanks
-Brad
Nemesis Project
WOW....
now dont get to big.
u getting the site up soon. i might be buying a used frame streetfighter from some guy. but not sure

·
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
snaky69 said:
The only advantage the argyle has over the tuned Z1 would be the floodgate adjustement which rocks on trail rides and such.
without the floodgate, if you set the fork to firm and take a hard hit.. will you blow a seal? or it hard set so the fork will compress in such a condition

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
unfluid one said:
without the floodgate, if you set the fork to firm and take a hard hit.. will you blow a seal? or it hard set so the fork will compress in such a condition
No you won't.

Mine is set with enough air that it take about a 5 foot drop to flat to bottom it out(or almost bottomed out, it does not feel harsh at all, I weigh aroudn 155-160lbs), it usually only uses about 40mm of it's 65mm under normal riding conditions, it feels perfect on the jumps and it's there when I need it. You can basically have a nearly rigid fork if you wish with the air preload.

The argyle has an actual compression adjustement via a knob, which essentially does the same thing. Its usefulness is proportional to the number of time you think you'll change settings in a day/week. I personally like my stuff "set it and forget it".

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
Pantelis said:
The tuned one and the stock one. And also if you know any differences between th 07 and 08. Thanks
Do you ever read previous posts before posting??

The regular tune includes a full rebuild with fresh oil, setting them to whatever travel you like(the 4X is 110mm stock, and can be lowered all the way down to approx 45mm), mirror polishing of all internal moving parts(including the piston rods)(this makes the fork run extra smooth) and a proprietary titanium spacer that also acts as a high speed compression shim.

You can also have an all-air fork(for lighter weight) using doppio air cartridges.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Yea, i read them but i haven't looked at anything about the tuned and stock. I'm really interested in getting one from Nemisis. But that would be in a while like a bit before christmas or christmas. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
425 Posts
snaky69 said:
Do you ever read previous posts before posting??

The regular tune includes a full rebuild with fresh oil, setting them to whatever travel you like(the 4X is 110mm stock, and can be lowered all the way down to approx 45mm), mirror polishing of all internal moving parts(including the piston rods)(this makes the fork run extra smooth) and a proprietary titanium spacer that also acts as a high speed compression shim.

You can also have an all-air fork(for lighter weight) using doppio air cartridges.
hmm....how much poundage do you dropp when goin to an all air?
im guessing this is like $75+ more added to the final bill too?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.