Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a very civil note from my downstairs neighbor regarding a "grinding/grating noise" that she has heard for the last few weeks coming from my apt. It's my blackburn trainer. I work at night, I use it during the day when most people are at work, but i guess she's been home lately. Any suggestions? I have continental sportcontact tires which are the baldest i could find.
My fiance told me to put my knobbies on the trainer :thumbsup:
Thanks

· Registered
243 Posts
Got to the local excercise store and buy a rubber exercise mat to put under the trainer. If that doesn't work, take it back for a refund and use some of the money to buy her ear plugs.

· Ride Instigator
3,230 Posts
Communicate...

RML said:
I got a very civil note from my downstairs neighbor regarding a "grinding/grating noise" that she has heard for the last few weeks coming from my apt. It's my blackburn trainer. I work at night, I use it during the day when most people are at work, but i guess she's been home lately. Any suggestions? I have continental sportcontact tires which are the baldest i could find.
My fiance told me to put my knobbies on the trainer :thumbsup:
Thanks
Try knocking on her door and having a friendly chat with her. Explain that you are an avid cyclist trying to maintain SOME degree of conditioning in the winter and ask her what would be a good time of day that wouldn't bother her...you only need 45 minutes or so right?

Find out what she likes....a nice bottle of wine? Primo coffee beans? Fannie Mae? Maybe she just needs some luvin;)

Bottom line, be NICE. She's a neighbor and you gotta' live with her.

· DeForest Stump
975 Posts
:rolleyes: You could tell her your other hobby is -drummer in rock band. Some people just like to complain.

· Registered
317 Posts
Living in an apartment involves some give and take. I've had neighbors that enjoyed their stereo a bit too much, and one that had an entertainment system with the subwoofer sitting right on the floor. While having the pictures on your walls rattling is over the line, I always tried to keep in mind that it's only natural you're going to hear some sounds from your neighbors, especially ones you live under.

I would try having a friendly conversation with her to see if an understanding can be reached. If she sleeps during the day, it might be trickier. But if she's simply expecting to hear absolutely no noise from you, that's a bit presumptuous on her part. It may just be that she needs to understand what the sound is, first... and then also that it's something that would be once a day, three times a week, or whatever.. and last for 30-45 minutes or however long you use it.

If she knows when to expect it and how long, it may be easier for her to ignore it. I had a neighbor once that always had his stereo up on Fridays while he got ready to go out. It was a bit loud, but I knew it would be over in 20 minutes. So, I made that concession as just part of being in an apartment. Of course, hearing it at 2AM was another matter.......

If push comes to shove, you may have to get the landlord to come in and go downstairs while you use the trainer to see if they think its an unreasonable sound.

· Registered
225 Posts
Noise Pollution

Booming car stereos, loud exhaust systems, neighbors who can't lock a car door without 2 or 3 horn blowing confirmations, drunken college parties, and the new home theater system complete with subwoofer set on 11 that my neighbor employs while playing video games late into the night. Yep, my neighborhood has it all. I haven't had one night's sleep without being awoken at least once since I've been here.

I'd like to support you on this one since I think wanting to stay in shape by riding the trainer is admirable. However, I suggest trying to find a way to quiet the trainer.

Don't take your fiance's advice. Doing so could only lead to escalation. You're going to need to sleep sometime and your neighbor could start her own retaliation. Try to work something out with her.

· Registered
4,102 Posts
This sounds good...

Ricko said:
Try knocking on her door and having a friendly chat with her. Explain that you are an avid cyclist trying to maintain SOME degree of conditioning in the winter and ask her what would be a good time of day that wouldn't bother her...you only need 45 minutes or so right?

Find out what she likes....a nice bottle of wine? Primo coffee beans? Fannie Mae? Maybe she just needs some luvin;)

Bottom line, be NICE. She's a neighbor and you gotta' live with her.
This seems like a decent approach. You did say it was a very civil note. The idea about the rubber mat also sounded good, or maybe you just need to put the bike and trainer somewhere else in your place.

I'm sure there must be a work around. :)

· Registered
317 Posts
The retaliation thing is true. In my first dorm, the walls were cinderblock and transmitted sound quite easily. The guy next to me would have his girlfriend.. and her baby.. over. At 1AM they'd be doing the mattress mambo with her moaning and yelling. Once they got done, the baby would wake up and cry.

I started countering it by putting my stereo against the wall and purchasing a CD of polka music to play whenever they started getting busy.

I don't think anyone can knock boots to polka.

Then the upstairs neighbor I had in my last apartment would occasionally have female company. When they'd start going at it, I'd start scratching at the wall right at the ceiling. Usually they'd think it was a mouse and be so freaked that was the end of any "nocturnal activities" for Mr. Stereo @ 2AM.

Hopefully she'll understand that apartments require a little give-and-take. It'd be nice if apartments were made well enough so that you didn't have to hear your neighbors, but it's just a reality. This kind of reminds me of a story my wife read about a lady that had her downstairs neighbor come up all irate because she thought the woman was having sex constantly. She thought that because of the regularly-creaking springs she heard.

Turned out the girl used an exercise trampoline.

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. My fiance was kidding about the knobbies. I will try the mats. I must say, these apts i live in now are much "cheaper" than the ones i used to live in, so the walls are much thinner. Thing is, its not like i complain about her karaoke. I'm just curious, has anyone had a neighbor that also used a trainer? My trainer sounds quiet enough to me, but i guess it can transmit vibration that would shake ceiling fans and lights....
Thanks

· Banned
4,056 Posts
RML said:
Thanks for the suggestions. My fiance was kidding about the knobbies. I will try the mats. I must say, these apts i live in now are much "cheaper" than the ones i used to live in, so the walls are much thinner. Thing is, its not like i complain about her karaoke. I'm just curious, has anyone had a neighbor that also used a trainer? My trainer sounds quiet enough to me, but i guess it can transmit vibration that would shake ceiling fans and lights....
Thanks
Remove note from door. Ignore it promptly. Forget about note completely as it goes in the trash. Ride trainer as usual.

You never saw the note you hear me?

You never saw the note.

· Don't worry, be happy!
8,110 Posts
RML said:
Thanks
Karaoke?

'nuff said.

· Registered
2,669 Posts
Your best bet is to try to isolate the trainer vibrations from the floor. I would try a mat (or thick carpet pad) and then a hard surface on top (a piece of plywood or something) to set the trainer on. This should provide some nice insulation between the trainer and the floor. Just putting the trainer on a mat (without the hard surface) may work, but the trainer may still be able to compress the mat enough to transmit the noise.

You may also want to place some "soft" stuff around the trainer (sofa, comfy chair, dead neighbors) to help absorb noises. But my guess is the sound/vibration transmissions through the floor are the biggest source of the noise.

· Registered
54 Posts
Invite your neighbor to go for a bike ride, have her in for tea, show her your set up, show her the mat you will be using, try other locations, offer to switch apartments. Most reasonable people respond reasonably when treated nicely. You have some great suggestions here. Also, is there another space at the ground level where you could use the trainer AND have your bike where you don't need to carry it up and down? I live in an apartment and while I don't use the common, secure space there is here, I could if I wanted to. I am just getting ready to get a trainer myself, will use a baldy tire but what is a quiet brand? Or, are they all noisy?

· Registered
54 Posts
It should be a fairly simple issue to resolve. I agree with the other posts. Take a trip over to her apt. and try to develop a reasonable plan. Explain what you are doing, and you care about her needs. Once a person understands you are not indifferent to their needs, coming to an agreement is much easier. You will probably end up with a schedule which you both can live with. If your neighbor will not discuss a good time, then try and find a time which has the least impact on her. The reason you want to be more than reasonable is if you get involved with city noise ordinaces or she decides to get nasty and file a formal complaint to your manager etc. You can say you did everything reasonable to reach a fair agreement. Besure you document all your contacts in writing with your neighbor. I know it sounds like a lot of hassle, which it is. You cannot believe how a simple issue can develop in a major problem. If you indifferently piss her off about this issue, then next thing you know, she might start complaining about every little noise she can hear in your apt. If you are preceived as a jerk, then the manager will have a tendency to side with her.

· Banned
4,056 Posts
fred3 said:
this suggestion.
And your suggestion is so helpful as well! Thanks! I'm sure your suggestion will help him alot. Golly gee you sure are helpful! What a great guy.

Again. Ignore the note. I don't change my life and answer to notes. Fred does, but I don't.

And thanks again Fred. Your help is so appreciated. I know your mother is proud.

:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.