Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering replacing the stem on my Stumpy with something shorter. I currently ride an XL with a 120mm stem and was thinking about a 100mm stem. Has anyone done this and noticed any negative side effects?

The reason I ask is because I did this on my previous bike, 105mm > 90mm. This gave me a lot better control over obstacles but the climbing suffered tremendously. The front wheel would lift and wander even if I thought about a hill.

·
Registered
2 Posts
had the same problem ,but in reverse,04 stumpy fsr medium,seemed too short for me,wheelied up any steep bank or hill,wandered madly when climbing,solved it the hard [$$$] way by getting a large frame and shorter stem -slowed everything down but still good in singletrack.
cheers,good luck

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Lumbee1 said:
I am considering replacing the stem on my Stumpy with something shorter. I currently ride an XL with a 120mm stem and was thinking about a 100mm stem. Has anyone done this and noticed any negative side effects?

The reason I ask is because I did this on my previous bike, 105mm > 90mm. This gave me a lot better control over obstacles but the climbing suffered tremendously. The front wheel would lift and wander even if I thought about a hill.
I actually went the other direction with mine. If you're interested in trying the shorter stem, mines for sale and I'd be willing to let you swap it out to try. I'm in Raleigh too. Shoot me a PM if you're interested

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mopartodd said:
I actually went the other direction with mine. If you're interested in trying the shorter stem, mines for sale and I'd be willing to let you swap it out to try. I'm in Raleigh too. Shoot me a PM if you're interested
PM sent :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.