Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Never mind.............
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All...

I'm rebuilding my Fox Float fork,and need some help....I'm installing new seals/wipers in the lowers,and was wondering which would be better...stock Fox parts? Enduro kit? I see that Darren @ Push uses Rock Shok seals on his rebuilds...Is there an advantage to that? And if so,how much modification is needed to the lowers to make them fit?
Also, what suspension fluids are best? Stock Float,Torco,some custom blend? This is my first fork rebuild,so any info will be greatly appreciated...Happy Independance Day! John :thumbsup:
 
W

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
If you fork is less then a year old and you care about your warrenty then you should use fox parts. If it is older then go ahead do whatever you want. As for oil as long as its a 7 or 7.5w oil you are fine.
 

·
Never mind.............
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoaohohohoh said:
If you fork is less then a year old and you care about your warrenty then you should use fox parts. If it is older then go ahead do whatever you want. As for oil as long as its a 7 or 7.5w oil you are fine.
Whoaoh....I bought it used a year ago,from someone who had it rebuilt before she sold it to me...Its definitely out of warranty...I was asking mainly about the different quality between Fox,Rock shox,and Enduro...I've heard good and bad about all 3 companies,and was wondering what experiences people had with them...As for fluids,I'm totally clueless..How would trying a different weight fluid help or hinder me? My riding weight is around 185#..Is there a brand or two of fluids that stand out better than the rest? like I said,this is my first fork rebuild,and I'd like to do it right...:thumbsup:
 

·
carpe mañana
Joined
·
7,293 Posts
Enduro seals are the best. They are absolutelly bullet proof. Fox seals are alright, but they don't last that long.

As of oil, you can't just use any old 7 or 7.5wt oil. One company's rating is very different from another's. Fox uses Torco Racing Shock Fluid, medium weight. It is comparable to Maxima USA Racing Fork Fluid, 10wt and PJ1 Fork Tuner, 5wt. Redline Medium is very close, also as is 7wt Bel Ray.

Throw the new seals into a freezer for 10 minutes before pressing them into the lowers, it will make your job a lot easier. Use a piece of PVC piping/tubing as the press.

Also, with Fox, you'd rather err on the lighter side of oil weight rather than heavier.

_MK
 

·
Never mind.............
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MK_ said:
Enduro seals are the best. They are absolutelly bullet proof. Fox seals are alright, but they don't last that long.

As of oil, you can't just use any old 7 or 7.5wt oil. One company's rating is very different from another's. Fox uses Torco Racing Shock Fluid, medium weight. It is comparable to Maxima USA Racing Fork Fluid, 10wt and PJ1 Fork Tuner, 5wt. Redline Medium is very close, also as is 7wt Bel Ray.

Throw the new seals into a freezer for 10 minutes before pressing them into the lowers, it will make your job a lot easier. Use a piece of PVC piping/tubing as the press.

Also, with Fox, you'd rather err on the lighter side of oil weight rather than heavier.

_MK
Cool...thanks,MK...very helpful.....:thumbsup:
 

·
Meh.
Joined
·
17,508 Posts
Whoaohohohoh said:
If you fork is less then a year old and you care about your warrenty then you should use fox parts. If it is older then go ahead do whatever you want. As for oil as long as its a 7 or 7.5w oil you are fine.
Not true, viscosity ratings differ greatly from company to company.

Enduro seals are amazing.
 

·
Code Burr
Joined
·
1,377 Posts
mtbikerjohn2003 said:
Hi All...

I'm rebuilding my Fox Float fork,and need some help....I'm installing new seals/wipers in the lowers,and was wondering which would be better...stock Fox parts? Enduro kit? I see that Darren @ Push uses Rock Shok seals on his rebuilds...Is there an advantage to that?
I believe Push machines the inner diameter of the tubes to accept the rock shock seals. I dont know what the advantage of those, if any, over Enduro seals, but they are better than the stock Fox parts. Its kind of hard to machine things at home so stick with the enduro's.
 

·
Never mind.............
Joined
·
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thebronze said:
I believe Push machines the inner diameter of the tubes to accept the rock shock seals. I dont know what the advantage of those, if any, over Enduro seals, but they are better than the stock Fox parts. Its kind of hard to machine things at home so stick with the enduro's.
Hehe...thats true...but I work for a railroad with a rather large machine-shop...so that part would be easy...I did decide to stick with the Enduros,tho...so much easier that way...I have a Pushed Float R on the rear of my Burner,so I know and respect Darren's work..I was curious about why Darren chose to do that machine work over,say,using stock or Enduro's..:thumbsup:
 

·
Riding free's the mind
Joined
·
1,012 Posts
Enduro

I just rebuilt my F100X forks with Enduro seals/wipers....amazing! I've suffered the stanchion leakage that many have for years now, just assuming it was par for the course with Fox shocks, not realizing how much better performing and leak free my fork could be.

Another plug for Enduro are the very complete and easy to follow instructions to dissassemble the fork and complete the installation. The key to a smooth rebuild is to make sure you have all the necessary tools, oil, and grease to do the job. Enduro sells all the necessary greases and oils, you need to supply some basic tools: allen wrenches and a 26mm socket (which I could only find online at Wiha Tools).

I highly recommend the Enduro system, it really works great! Let me know if you have any other questions on it.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top