Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I bought a Giant Yukon FX a few months back (ridiculous price for almost new bike) and it came with a SR Suntour XCM fork that just doesn't work for me. Out of its 100mm, i can only use around 65mm because the preload (I think it's preload, I'm relatively new to MTBing) is set for a much heavier rider (I'm under 150 lbs).

After turning the preload as far left as possible, the sag was almost close to what i need it to be. No other knobs or rebound or compression damping knobs are available on the XCM fork (I think, but if you know please say).
So, since i think i need a new fork, I was wondering what suggestions you experienced riders thought i should get. What I think i need:
  • Price: preferably under $300
  • Sized for a 26er
  • Travel: around 100mm
  • Air: is air better than coil/spring?
  • Maintenance: as close to 0 as possible :), including having to send back for manufacturer problms (so no 2013 Fox)

Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
You probably need the right spring. I'm assuming it's a coil spring so just get the lighter one. They are usually color-coded.

mk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So just a lighter spring would allow me to use the entire 100mm? Can i find it on suntour's website or is used fine on ebay or somthing?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Find the answer and report back to educate us all!

mk

·
Registered
932 Posts
There are some 100mm Manitou Minute or Marvel around sub$300.
Yep, just bought a Circus Expert, very customizable travel settings, got it for riding UA and a little trail riding for $290 off the site they have some Tapered Minute & Marvel Pro's for $279... Pricepoint!

If I was looking for a trail fork only, I would have got the Minute Pro, but I needed a fork that could be tuned for Urban Assault.

Good shopping to you!

·
Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
1,080 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't bother with anything new for the current fork. The stock suntour forks are generally considered cheap/ineffective. Scope around price point, CRC and Cross Lake Sales / random bike Parts . Com for some deals on nice, inexpensive air forks.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Maintenance: as close to 0 as possible :), including having to send back for manufacturer problms (so no 2013 Fox)
Good luck with that. Suspension needs to and should be maintained in order to work properly. Obviously some companies have ridiculous maintenance intervals, but with suspension you should expect some kind of maintenance to be done. If you want 0 maintenance, go rigid.

Another inexpensive option is to participate in Suntour's upgrade program to one of their nicer forks. Shouldn't be hard to find something decent for under $300, though. You might want to add in the cost of having the crown race removed from your old fork, pressed onto your new fork, and possibly getting the steerer cut, to your budget as well.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Uh... well... I don't really know what those are or how to measure them. Ive been mtbiking for about 8 months now. I can post pics or something if that will help though. Thanks
Looking up pictures of your bike, It appears to have a standard QR axle and a straight 1 1/8th steerer tube. Those specs will make it hard to find a fork that is a worth the price.

In all honesty, if you know very little about your bike or what you are doing, its a good idea to take it into your local shop and talk with them about it. Mention the Suntour upgrade program to them, its probably your best bet at getting a decent upgrade at a decent price. See what else they can upgrade you too as well.

If they give you a few options and you dont know which to pick, come back here and tell us what they said and we can help you get the best fork for the money.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was going to buy a soft coil for my xcm, but suntour didn't have any in stock nor planning on making more for my specific model fork. Sometime this week I'll go into my LBS and try to figure out what to do with it.
I'm low on $ so I'm going to get a used fork. My LBS is for the rich, so the cost for everything is huge, so I can't buy a fork there.
Also, i was wondering if I could switch out the fork myself. I don't have the exact tools, probably, and have never switched anything on the bike myself excedpt for the pedals and seat, and I made a ghetto dropper post that works quite well. So do you guys think I could do this myself or should I just get my lbs to do it?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
So do you guys think I could do this myself or should I just get my lbs to do it?

Thanks
Changing a fork isn't really a complicated process. The big thing to make sure of when buying a used fork is that the steerer tube is long enough to fit your frame. Some guys will cut them down to fit their frames and that makes them completely useless for other frames. Aside from that, making sure you put your headset back together correctly. Assuming that the fork you buy already has a star nut and crown race installed...you can do the whole swap with just allen wrenches and some grease. The only other thing you might end up doing is cutting the steerer.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My lbs said RS XC 30 or RS Tora was good for their price, as well as Manitou's that are sub $400.
On CRC.com they have a sale: RS XC30 2014 for $150, rs xc 32 2013 for $210, recon silver 2013 for $210, and Manitou Match comp 2014 for $300.
The New RS 30 gold fork looks good for its price $330, but compared to the above I don't know which to get. Or should I wait for some other fork to go on sale? And are these prices normal or actually on sale?

Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
My lbs said RS XC 30 or RS Tora was good for their price, as well as Manitou's that are sub $400.
On CRC.com they have a sale: RS XC30 2014 for $150, rs xc 32 2013 for $210, recon silver 2013 for $210, and Manitou Match comp 2014 for $300.
The New RS 30 gold fork looks good for its price $330, but compared to the above I don't know which to get. Or should I wait for some other fork to go on sale? And are these prices normal or actually on sale?

Thanks a ton!

Prices seem reasonable. Manitou Match would have the best performance of the bunch, but its heavy and coil sprung. If you get the correct coil for you weight, its a great the best fork listed. (stock coil will be close for you, might be a little stiff). After that, I would get the Recon Silver. A little below that would be the XC 32, and last would be the XC30. Some of the Rock Shox forks have the possibility of also being coil sprung as well, so you may need to buy a coil for them as well.

Any of the above options would be better then your current fork, so it really comes down to what you are willing to spend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts