Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I need your thoughts on my thoughts (if that makes any sense).

I have been on hiatus for quite a few years now and have been thinking of getting back on the saddle. I will not be racing or doing anything serious, all that is in my past but I guess never say never. So, I am thinking of bringing an "older" bike to descent form for the trails (all around, but really won't be DH-ing or FR-ing).

The Bike:
2000 Univega Alpina 700. All stock.

Now, I've had this fork (2000 Marzzochi Bomber Z5 QR20) and a QR20 hub for ages (2000). Would this be a descent upgrade of a fork? If it worth it price/headache wise? The swap may be a tad more involved then I'd like. I still need to find a disc brake adapter for this fork and obviously my hubs need to be switched out. Is this a good move? Should I just get a more updated/newer fork with less hassles? The main draw to this for is that I already have it and 2/3's of the parts to make it work.

I do like the frame of this bike so other updates will come (Crank, Cassette, better brakes and XT derailers) but I'm just stuck on the fork "issue" I have.

Thanks for your thought's! They are much appreciated.

-Ian

·
Registered
413 Posts
Why dont you start by coming up with a dollar amount for all the parts you think you will replace/upgrade. then look at said dollar amount and go to your LBS and see what they have at that price point. I bet you will be suprised at what you come up with.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that's just it. I can do my upgrades slowly which is why I'm not so concerned with those parts as I am with the fork. I guess the main question I am asking is is it a good move to replace to said fork (2000 Marzzochi Bomber Z5 qr20) that I already have or just go with something more contemporary and newer? Considering that I only need a disc brake adapter for the fork + labor for the swap VS. a brand new fork + labor for the swap.

·
Registered
422 Posts
From what I could find on the internet about your bike, it comes with a In Sync SYS-566, 2.5" (63.5mm) travel fork, so I would guess the Marzocchi would be an improvement.
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2001&Brand=Univega&Model=Alpina+700&Type=bike

I see that for the year 2000, the Z5 came in both coil spring version and air spring version, both 100mm travel. If you have that 2.5" travel fork, going to 100mm will 'rake-out' your front end and the bike might feel more sluggish in the tight stuff.

I took a rim and a hub to a local bike store and asked him to lace it up, cost me $80 for spokes and labor. You'd be taking your front wheel and 20mm hub in and the bike store will have to cut off old spokes and respoke with new correct length, so you could be looking at $80 to $100 for that.

It looks like you have 6" brake rotors, there's a Hayes adapter for that to 20mm:
http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=details&PageID=30&SKU=BR3957

I've found that most 20mm forks & wheels are heavier than normal QR type, so you'd be adding weight to your bike with your idea vs. just buying a good newer used QR fork off ebay for example. It appears your Z5 fork has both a steel steerer tube and steel stanchions so it's probably on the heavy end of the scale vs. newer forks with aluminum for both.
http://manualer.happymtb.org/marzocchi/2000 z5 qr20.pdf
http://manualer.happymtb.org/marzocchi/2000 z5 qr20 spring.pdf

An 80mm fork would probably be a better fit to your frame and not screw up the geometry as much, but a decent used QR air fork (R7, Reba, F80, etc) is going to be around $250-$350 used on ebay.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent! Thank you so much for all that info. This is exactly what I needed to help me decide the route I should take. Especially since I don't know **** about most of these things. lol!

Again, I can't say it enough. Thank you and I appreciate the time and effort you took to answer my question.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.