Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fairly new to mtb riding, this will be my 2nd season riding, so when come to technical stuff about my bike I'm still learning that being said...

went riding today and when we finished riding I noticed my back wheel was warped, and had quite few spokes lose, so took it to local bike shop
hoping could get it back true. He took back wheel off looked at it and said couldn't do anything with it, but told me all I needed was rim and could use my existing things from my wheel to rebuild new one. So I was ok with that but problem it's a specialized roval 29er (not carbon) he couldn't order it cause not specialized dealer, so I called specialized dealer they said they couldn't get it either. But could get wheels set for 700$. And not looking to spend that and nothing is wrong with my front. I know I could buy different brand wheel, but like these wheels and like to keep both front and back the same. So took it to another local specialized dealer, just to get their opinion. Mechanic there got it back within 1mm of being true. To me sounds good but like I said I'm not at that great of a technical level yet. So would you guys run it, with it being within 1mm of being true ? And if do run it could it potential mess something else up worse ? Or do I need to start wheel shopping ?

Thanks for your help and opinions

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Run it, 1 mm out of true is well within spec. Wheels need to be looked after just like everything else as part of regular maintenance.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
My back wheels was pretty warped and it also turned out that I had a slight flat spot that isn't really noticeable but my LBS got it back to as true as he can get it. Its probably closer to 2mm than 1m. They told me that it should be fine as long as the rim still held air (tubeless), which it did. I've been on about 7 rides on them and a few of them on pretty techy terrain and its held up just fine. So I wouldn't worry about 1mm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I'll keep watch on it. If warps like that again i
Figured start wheel shopping and replace it

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Keep an eye on the spoke tension. An easy way to do that is to put the bike in a repair stand (or flip it upside down) and spin the wheel. Loosely hold a wooden stick or tool handle or pencil to the spokes as they spin by so you get ping-ping-ping-ping. The pitch should be fairly consistent. A thunk instead of a ping indicates a loose spoke.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts