Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Ride hard or go home
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people...

How you doin?

I want to buy a new Giant Reign X1. Since now I used to XC and road ridings but now I want to change and get into more aggresive XC and freeride style.

I liked a lot Giant Reign X1 and I think is the best bike for what I need too. My concern is to get the best frame size possible. In the area I leave though, there are no Giant dealers and I am thinking to buy it online because you can find better offers. Therefore I would not have the chance to test the frame size.

I am 1.82m tall and my leg inseam is 84cm. Which size you think would be the best.
An 18" or a 20"?

Apart from that can any Giant Reign X1 riders please tell me your comments for the bike. Is it worth buying?

thank you

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
i'd say you're closer to a 20" frame size, but check and see what the top tube length is on your current bike and the Rx1.

·
Ride hard or go home
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I talk to freeriders they told me that is better to have a smaller top tupe on a freeride bike rather the usual length of an XC bike.

What is your opinion?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
most freeride bikes already have the top tube length spec'd for the appropriate sized rider. not knowing what kind of trails you ride is hard to decide what size you would want. Look at the geometry table and factor in the wheel base as well since it will differ as well as seat tube length. you can get the seat really low on a 18, but may have to run a longer post to get it to climbing height. needing a longer post could negate the ability to drop the seat all the way.

·
Ride hard or go home
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes you are right! The seat post will have to be larger if I get the 18" because I do lots of climbing too. Therefore as you set I will not be able to put it inside enough on downhills.

The terrain in Cyprus I usually ride is up to the mountains and it has stip uphills and deep downhills. Therefore I always have to ride up to the top.

Is there a way to measure my body to find the appropriate top tupe for this bike ?

Thanks for the help mate ! very usefull information!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
tkblazer said:
most freeride bikes already have the top tube length spec'd for the appropriate sized rider. not knowing what kind of trails you ride is hard to decide what size you would want. Look at the geometry table and factor in the wheel base as well since it will differ as well as seat tube length. you can get the seat really low on a 18, but may have to run a longer post to get it to climbing height. needing a longer post could negate the ability to drop the seat all the way.
tkblazer - I agree with your comments but I think that is the Reign 0/1 geo chart, here is the X:
http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/mountain/7/24786/geometry/
MD - my 18" ReignX1 actually measures 17" (to the top of the ST), so with your inseam you might have problems getting enough leg extension for climbing. Because of the "kink" by the shock mount on the ST, you can't drop a full length seatpost all the way. The chart shows the 18" (med) with 23.2" TT but mine looks less than 23". It's tricky to measure since as the chart says "seat tube angle is effective" (since the ST isn't straight) so that might be why it seems shorter in real life.

If the 20" frame's TT is just a *bit* long, since the Reign X comes with low rise handlebars (I think .75" or 1") you could go with a higher rise bar (1.5" is still reasonable) and/or a shorter stem (say from 60mm to 40mm). That would lift you up a fair bit.

If that just doesn't work, and you really fit the 18" frame TT length best, then you might run a telescoping seatpost to get it high enough to climb with.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
FSRXC, good lookin out dood! i didn't bother looking at the chart since i got it off giant's frameset page of of reign x.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
tkblazer said:
FSRXC, good lookin out dood! i didn't bother looking at the chart since i got it off giant's frameset page of of reign x.
I noticed the 69 deg HA, and remembered the X is 67.

·
Ride hard or go home
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FSRXC, If I got it right, you are telling me that a 20" would be the appropriate for my inseam?

Thanks for the details you provided above. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Mr.Dirt said:
FSRXC, If I got it right, you are telling me that a 20" would be the appropriate for my inseam?

Thanks for the details you provided above. :thumbsup:
Additional info if this helps:
I set the (350mm long) seatpost at the max mark, and measured from the BB center to top of the seat:
75.5cm.
Check the same distance on your current bike for comparison. That might give you an idea if the 18" frame could fit your leg length (without using a telescoping post). Because I don't have access to the 20" frame, I can't verify any measurements on that. The TT listed in the chart *should* be correct.

·
Ride hard or go home
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks man! this is a very usefull information. I will find a measure tomorrow and do it. I think the best thing to do also is to find the crank lenght which comes on a factory Reign

I think the Race Face DH X-type is 170 or 175 mm long.

once more thanks for all the help! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
mr dirt, crank arm length will be 175mm although 170s wouldn't hurt if you ride in places with a lot of big rocks. i was slamming my pedals through some big rock gardens on certain trails with my 175s and my bike has a taller bb height then the rx.

rm racer, its 135mm rear spacing and there is no 10 or 12mm t/a setup. I am running hope pro II rear hub with 10mm t/a setup and i'm using a hadley 10mm axle. this setup is sweet and solid too!

·
the goose is loose!
1,276 Posts
YES! THANK YOU! oh man that made my day. i plan to get some wheels with hope pro2 hubs for my jamis and then when i get my reign x frame sometime this summer/early fall, put those wheels onto the reign. awesome! then i'd put the drivetrain, cockpit, and brakes from my jamis onto the reign x, sell the rolling jamis chassis, then buy some forks. that's my plan. you have no idea how happy that made me hearing that it's 135mm spacing. thank you. lol.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
i'm not sure if a 180mm fork would void your warranty, but a dual crown fork will for sure. I'm going to assume they don't recommend anything more than 160mm since they spec it with a fox 36... although personally i would run something like a marz 66 170mm

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
tkblazer said:
i'm not sure if a 180mm fork would void your warranty, but a dual crown fork will for sure. I'm going to assume they don't recommend anything more than 160mm since they spec it with a fox 36... although personally i would run something like a marz 66 170mm
Well the 160mm Van 36 is supposed to have 545mm a-c, and the '06 170mm 66 is ~555mm, so that might just depend on whether they say no to 170mm by rule.

The '07 180mm Domain and 66 will be a bit tall, so you might want to contact Giant first (even if travel is adjustable it might still void warranty).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts