Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. My budget is set. I have been out and tested as many bikes as humanly possible. Here is the dilemma:
I am 6' 2" and about 325.

I want to support my local bike shop. He only sells Fuji and Rocky. Neither of those are on the short list.
He is a Niner dealer, but only special orders them.

Here is the list no particular order:

Niner Jet 9 w/ok build set up

Voodoo Canzo w/ pretty sweet set up

2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29

I have been on the Stumpy and really like it. My dilemma is I can't get on the Niner or Canzo.
Is there any bike out there that is similar in geometry to either of them to check out to see if it will work.
Does anyone in Southern Maine/NH have a Canzo or Jet I could check out?

Again....The Stumpy is sweet, but I would love to build my own and support my local shop. The Stumpy is 45 min. away local, but I ride with my local shop and really want to throw him a bone.

Thanks for listening to my rant!

·
3,707 Posts
Same with me. Except I never cared much for Specialized, but my favorite shop sells Spec almost exclusively. I've grown to like them.

But I don't think you can go wrong with a Niner.

·
Registered
469 Posts
At your weight I would probably stay away from the Jet. It is, after all, designed to be a race frame, and while the revised frame is beefier it still errs on the side of light weight over strength.

In terms of the other choices, I'd suggest you go with the one that has the strongest wheels: you're going to put a lot of stress on a wheelset, and you're definitely a candidate for beefier 32- or 36-hole handbuilt wheelsets. If you can get either the Canzo or the Stumpy at a decent price, sell the stock wheels (or have the dealer switch them out), and spend the difference on a custom-built wheelset I'd recommend you go that route.

Good luck!

G

·
BigWheeler said:
At your weight I would probably stay away from the Jet. It is, after all, designed to be a race frame, and while the revised frame is beefier it still errs on the side of light weight over strength.
There is nothing about the current Jet that suggests it "errs on the side of light weight over strength" and, frankly, it's not really a lightweight frame. If there is concern for durability at the OP's weight then contact all the manufacturers. No reason to assume any frame is good but the Niner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I started riding in August this past year. I picked up a 2011 Rockhopper Pro 29. I did ok with the wheels, but I would say that is because I was a beginner, and didn't get on it too much. I found myself starting to ride harder later in the season when freezing temps and snow caused me to hanger her for the winter and get on my skis. I agree with the strong wheels, that is one of the reasons I wanted to go custom build. My local shop is an amazing wheel builder. So they say anyway.

The canzo has the RT3 monarch rear shock, and the other two have Fox RP23s I think. Any thoughts on that?

Also, which of the three geos would give me the most upright seating position?

·
Registered
469 Posts
craigsj said:
There is nothing about the current Jet that suggests it "errs on the side of light weight over strength" and, frankly, it's not really a lightweight frame.
From Niner's webpage regarding the Jet9:

Race-ready 29er full suspension, updated for 2010 ...

Speed was the main design concept of the Jet 9 ...

Both of those are industry-speak for 'light over strength.' That said, you're certainly right craig: this isn't a featherweight frame, but the OP is twice the weight of your average racer. I think he'd do well for a bike that sacrifices some 'speed' (read: 'light weight') for strength (read: heavier).

Again, this is not to knock the Jet in any way: I'd love to have one. I just don't think that this is exactly what the OP is looking for. And as always, this is just one man's opinion. ;)

To the OP:

It sounds like you've got the line on a good wheelset -- good thinking. The Jet9 will have the most 'stretched out' geometry, and off the top of my head I'd *guess* that the Canzo will have a slightly shorter TT -- and a more upright riding position -- than the Stumpy, but that's just a guess. There were a few really good threads on the Canzo a few months (maybe a year?) back, so they might be worth searching for.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Buy a Rip9

Hi

Well I would say build the Rip9,They are a very good bikes,Nice & strong & lots of fun.

The Rip9 pedals very well & offers up more grip on ruff ground than what the Jet9 does.

My Rip9 is almost as good/fast as my Jet9 on the tracks that suit the Jet9.

The Jet9 is a long way off the Rip9 in the ruff & the wet & on tracks you are riding fast that you have not ridden before.

Ok you can build a Jet9 2 lb lighter than a Rip9 but don't flag away looking at a Rip9 because of it.

The Rip9 is an awesome bike.

G

·
BigWheeler said:
From Niner's webpage regarding the Jet9:

Race-ready 29er full suspension, updated for 2010 ...

Speed was the main design concept of the Jet 9 ...

Both of those are industry-speak for 'light over strength.':
No they aren't. Race doesn't mean "not strong" and people who want to go fast don't want their frame to break in the middle of it.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Jbart52 said:
Ok. My budget is set. I have been out and tested as many bikes as humanly possible. Here is the dilemma:
I am 6' 2" and about 325.

I want to support my local bike shop. He only sells Fuji and Rocky. Neither of those are on the short list.
He is a Niner dealer, but only special orders them.

Here is the list no particular order:

Niner Jet 9 w/ok build set up

Voodoo Canzo w/ pretty sweet set up

2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29

I have been on the Stumpy and really like it. My dilemma is I can't get on the Niner or Canzo.
Is there any bike out there that is similar in geometry to either of them to check out to see if it will work.
Does anyone in Southern Maine/NH have a Canzo or Jet I could check out?

Again....The Stumpy is sweet, but I would love to build my own and support my local shop. The Stumpy is 45 min. away local, but I ride with my local shop and really want to throw him a bone.

Thanks for listening to my rant!
You certainly need to shop in the big and tall section of the men's XC wear department. I would avoid the JET 9 frame at your weight. If you want a full suspension Niner from your dealer, the RIP would be the obvious choice for an XC fully. Plenty of big and tall gravity challenged riders doing well on it with the burlier frame (about a pound and a half burlier than the JET). Same price as the JET to boot. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for you.

The other beefy frame in full suspension you should consider is the El Capitan from Ventana. Your LBS may not be a dealer, but it is a frame for your weight worth considering. Here's the Ventana dealer in Maine....

MAINE

The Bike Boutique
2208 US Route 202
Winthrop, ME 04364
Tel: 207-485-4513
Email: [email protected]
www.boutiquebikes.com

BB

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Captain_America1976 said:
If you LBS has an account with BTI, which most do, they can order a Canzo for you. A friend of mine has been on one for about 6 months now, and he absolutely loves it.
Thanks Captain.
Yes, he would be getting it from BTI. My problem is, I can't see if I like it until it's all built. I really would love to get on one and atleast ride it in the parking lot to see if it will be comfortable.

To all the other posts.....The question is about if the Niner is a race bike, how light it is, or if it will hold up to me.
I asked which would give the most comfortable ride. As I stated, I was only able to get on the Stumpy. Is the Canzo and Niner completely different in the way if feels? (Riding position?)

G

·
Jbart52 said:
I asked which would give the most comfortable ride.
If comfort is the priority, you should consider what muzzanic and Bruce have recommended. Go with a RIP over a JET. RIP is really comfortable, but you have to get the red. ;)

Riding position depends on how you do the fit as much as the frame itself. RIP and JET sizing are similar, but you could get a more upright position by choosing a smaller frame, higher bar, and more setback. I did that with with my RIP and was pleased. Until people know more specific dimensions commenting on riding position isn't really possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.