Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,
Noobie here! Go ahead, flame away!:madmax: Anyway I'm shopping for a new 29inch F/S bike. My experience thus far is on my first bike I purchased new 3 years ago. Its a GF Marlin. It suits me fine for the XC type of riding I prefer. However, I want something that can handle my occasional trip to the trails with rock gardens and roots. So far I've ridden the Trek Fuel EX8 29er and Scott Genius 940.Too wet now to test them out on trails. So I was only able to ride around in the parking lot. Ideally I'd like to try them both out in a few weeks when its dry. But I'm getting anxious!!! I'm looking to hear from those of you who own or have ridden the 2014 Scott Genius 940 or 930. Your experience and if you're happy with it. I'm open to other suggestions too. I thought I had my mind made up on the fuel, but the genius just felt better to me. The twinloc may have something to do with it too.:thumbsup:

Cliff notes
I own a GF Marlin and now want a full squish 29er.
What are your thoughts on the Scott Genius 930 and 940?
Any others you'd recommend?

·
Registered
844 Posts
The web site twentynineinches.com is in the process of reviewing a 2014 910 Genius. Same basic bike design, just carbon frame and lots of parts upgrades. Demo on dirt both bikes and maybe more brands.

Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone else have some in put on the bike ? I'm struggling to spend an extra grand on this bike vs it's competitors just to have twinloc. Plus cheaper components.

·
Registered
88 Posts
One thing I learned when I switched from road to mountain. Test ride, test ride and test ride some more. There is a local bike shop that rents bikes that I can test ride all kinds of brands and such. Like someone else said above, test ride more brands than you are considering and have an open mind when doing so. I wasn't even considering some of the bikes I test road. I ended up choosing between a brand I wasn't considering and one I was considering for my purchase. Also, Don't skimp on components! Brakes are vital, so make sure you get good quality brakes on your rig. Hope and Shimano seem to have good reviews here. Review some of the other brands here and get them switched out if your bike doesn't come with them. I spent $1800 only to realize after about 6 months that the brakes that came with my rig sucked and needed to be replaced! Bam! $300 more! Wheels are next! Make sure you can go tubeless with the rims it comes with. I doubt you can buy a quality rig nowadays without a tubeless ready set up but you never know! The main thing is pick a bike that fits your type of riding and fits you well physically. Bikes have different geometry and some are more aggressive and responsive while others are not. Just depends on what you are looking for. The only way to know that is test ride on the dirt.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Both great bikes but one thing to consider with the Twinloc is that you can't set the fork and the rear shock independent of each other. I've read reviews complaining about this because there are situations in general trail riding where you may still want the front fork fully open but want the rear shock in trail mode for better pedaling efficiency. With the Twinloc both are set in the same climb, trail or descend mode. Just something to consider that may affect how much weight you put on the Twinloc in your decision.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I ride a Trek Superfly full suspension and I have the rear shock in trail mode 90% of the time but have the front fork in trail about 50% of the time and fully open (descend mode) the other 50% of the time. If the trail is relatively flat I have them both in the trail setting but where it gets more undulating I like to have the front fork fully open (admittedly it's only 100mm of travel vs 140mm on the Genius).

I only use the rear shock descend mode for periods of prolonged downhill.

Having to keep both in the same setting all the time would be a major drawback for me but as I said I am riding a XC bike with only 100mm of travel to play with. It might be different on a 140mm trail bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i am also seriously considering a 2014 Scott Genius 940 or 930 over the spark series due to the fact that genius has 130mm travel (to get a "plusher" feel).

i know demo demo demo is the best way to tell what fits, but from where i come from, there are no "demo" bikes. we have to rely mostly on owners input and from reviews, so any piece of info in here is definitely helpful for the rest of us that just don't have access to demo bikes.

on a side note, on scott's website, are all the bike weights shown only for a "small" size frame ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
i am also seriously considering a 2014 Scott Genius 940 or 930 over the spark series due to the fact that genius has 130mm travel (to get a "plusher" feel).

I'm a noob to the mtb knuckle-dragger world too with less than ten rides on my new Scott Genius 930 (2013). I too was considering the Spark but went with the Genius knowing that the friends I would be riding with all ride trail setups - and the price and feel were right. I'm only on intermediate terrain so far that hasn't required the full travel of the Genius but it's good to know I'll have it as I progress.

A note on the Twinlock comment from Kiwi: the middle of the three settings produces just what he desired for most trail situations - the front fork is fully open and the rear shock is limited - perfect for most climbs and most trails. The other two settings open both fork and shocks fully or lock both out (or at least to about 10-20%). I find that I use the twinlock frequently. I can make the switch on the fly with my hands never leaving the handlebars. Great for gnarly descents that transition quickly to steep climbs. The thing climbs great even with the wagon wheels and the only limits on descents are my rookie skills.

Scott went with an improved shock on the 2014 Genius and I've heard good things from a buddy who rides one. But, so far, it's a love fest for this noob and his Genius girlfriend.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Both great bikes but one thing to consider with the Twinloc is that you can't set the fork and the rear shock independent of each other. I've read reviews complaining about this because there are situations in general trail riding where you may still want the front fork fully open but want the rear shock in trail mode for better pedaling efficiency. With the Twinloc both are set in the same climb, trail or descend mode. Just something to consider that may affect how much weight you put on the Twinloc in your decision.
Good point. However, a friend is having separate levers on his bike and would rather have mine (Twinlock). He finds it a nuisance, because >80% of the time, he'd like to change both settings at once, and needs two hands and more time for it.

I'd also say most people are riding their fork too soft and their shock too hard.

·
Registered
477 Posts

i know demo demo demo is the best way to tell what fits, but from where i come from, there are no "demo" bikes. we have to rely mostly on owners input and from reviews, so any piece of info in here is definitely helpful for the rest of us that just don't have access to demo bikes.

on a side note, on scott's website, are all the bike weights shown only for a "small" size frame ?
Not sure, but I think the weights should be for a medium frame. Weights are pretty accurate, from my experience. My 710 was 12.8 kg in Large, so 12.5 in medium is realistic.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Though I can't speak to the 2014 model I did demo the Genius 920 as well as one of their 650b's. I tested in Austin TX at Pace Bend that has plenty of rock gardens. The Genius is a solid bike so either will do and up to you on what groupo/feature/cost works for you. I have been using a Specilized Epic Marathon w the brain and Float 32 Kashima that rides pretty stiff in the rear. I liked the cush feel that the scott had with Fox CTD remote that allowed me to shift from trail, to climb, or descend from the bars w/out having to slow down or take my hands off the bars. I agree with one of the other post that it is nice at times to set the front different than the rear but I don't need to do that often. I have found that useful in loose surface, tight singletrack conditions where the front wants to slip out due to traction washout stuff because I selected the wrong tire for the terrain. Other than that really not a decision point for me. Money is money so if your unsure,, I would hold off and demo every bike you can get your hands on,,, go to all the local shops in your area and ask for demo days. Might find the one and want to save for it! Also you could spring for a trip to Outerbike and demo the best bikes in the world!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts