Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Brian, 6'6", 350lbs. I just purchased (on Craigslist), a Specialized Rockhopper. (the attached photo is my bike) It's in decent shape, I'm sure it'll need a tuneup and fitting.

The wheels are 36 spokes, so I should be ok for now in that area, but I'd like to upgrade the tires to slicks that I can run at a high pressure. (I know, the ride will suck a bit).

Any advice or suggestions?

Many thanks!

Attachments

·
native.
64 Posts
Schwalbe Big Apple's, they're 2.35" and I believe are the widest slicks you can get. I have a set on my '94 Rockhopper, pothole and glass no fear!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sweet, I'll definitly look into them.

One question, looking at the spec sheet for that tire line ( http://www.schwalbetires.com/big_apple ) the 2" tires are rated at a higher pressure then the 2.3". Should I stick with the 2", or is it safe to run the wide tires out-of-spec? (I'd like to test them up to, say, 90psi just to see how the bike likes those high pressures)

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
I don't think the big apple 2.35 will fit that bike. They are friggin huge!!!!!

·
native.
64 Posts
The 2.35" Big Apples will fit, I have a set on both the Rock Hoppers in the garage. At max pressure, they're plenty stiff and still have the "suspension" you need/want. I have run the tires as low as 30psi and haven't had an issue with pinchflats. Not sure if you need to run them at 90psi, but I haven't gone higher than the recommended max...sounds like an experiment! We are both about the same weight, and I ride everyday in SF. They are plenty tough, although a little spendier than most MTB tires.

·
Underskilled
4,751 Posts
+1 on big apples, you will not need to run them outside normal pressure.

Trust me, if that tyres goes at 90psi, you will not want to be near the bike when it happens, that much pressure at that volume would literally throw the bike through the air if it blows out.

I had a much smaller volume tyre blow, the bike landed the other side of the room. This tyre has about 8 times the air in it...BOOM

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Big Apples arrived today, they fit on the bike better then the off-road 2" tires that were there before (no sticky-up tread parts), and they feel FANTASTIC at 60psi (the max rated pressure).

Of course, with any good comes some bad, I found a crack in my head tube today. (if any of you weld in the LA area, see my thread in Frame Building)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts