Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Low Rep Count
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently running the traditional star fangle thing in my 1 1/8th fork. Looking at moving to a compression style bolt instead. Does anyone have a weigth of what a star fangle bolt weighs? I have seen a couple differen compression bolts that I am thinking about but am curious what the weight savings is going to be at this point.

Between cutting steerer down about 1.5cm, losing one of the carbon spacers (4 grams), swapping my Campy carbon top cap out for say something from fairwheel (another 4grams savings) and then what ever the loss of the star fangle for a compression bolt (that could be removed once everything is set-running no top cap at all) I would think that I could shed maybe 20-30 grams. Also getting ready to order some ti bolts for my WCS stem which should shave another 10-15 grams.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't have any weights but ordered this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150573791739&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Only $13 shipped and claimed weight of 11g starnut, top cap and bolt. I don't believe the weight but we will see and I needed these for a upcoming project anyway. Posted on another thread and got no replys from anyone actually using it. Personally I can't see running without a top cap for a few grams saved. Would want at least some sort of plastic plug over that steerer. With my luck I would be eating steerer tube in a crash.

·
Low Rep Count
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got my Soul-something that is a one piece for the cap and screw. I kept my stock star fangle though that weighs 10 grams. The new top cap bolt weighs about 6g. I also terimmed my steer tube and took off one spacer and the Campy top cap and screw. I basically took off 10g. I also swapped out my grips which dropped another 35g. Not sure how long they will last as they are foam and seem to slip on the bars pretty easily. But the new bar is in the mail and that should save me another 30g!

·
bike rider
1,152 Posts
Keep it Up!

Nice! I always tell people that Weight Weenieism is an Untreatable Disease but they don't believe me until they've been Bitten. I'm still thinking about trying for the 12lb range with my A9c but I'm starting an 18lb. TallBoy build so she'll have to wait.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts