Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a single bike shop in my location (Louisville) can provide me with a Trek Stache to test ride in my size. They say they can order me one, but only if I purchase it first. I do not want to drop that sort of cash on a bike I have never tested.

I'd like to have an idea of the frame, especially when compared to Trek's Superfly (aluminum) models. For those who have owned (or tested) Trek's Stache models:

How does it ride?
Climbing ability?
120mm form worth it (compared to 100mm Superfly)
Thoughts/Comments?

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
Hi

There are loads of Stache threads on here, do a search and you should get all the answers you need, I haven't seen one negative about the bike really.

I love mine, it's fast, fun, confidence inspiring and out performs a lot of full suspension bikes I've ridden before.

The Stache climbs very well indeed, it seems to get a lot of grip from what its got and just gets on with the job. The frame is stiff and the power transfer is excellent as a result. It is probably the fastest steering 29er I've ridden and it's a hoot on the flowy downhills.

If you have anymore specific questions just ask.

·
Registered
14,043 Posts
April 12th and 13th the Factory Demo will be 90 minutes away in Cinci.
The Stache 8 and Superfly 9.8 will be out for riding.
I did this on my home trails last year.
The Stache climbs well, flows over bumps with the stable Trek ride that makes things easy. A bit heavy but very responsive. Great bike for skill development.
But the SF 9.8 is edgier with more trail feel and a full frame feel to the carbon compliance. I'd ride it anywhere a Fuel EX can go. Makes you look for rocks and roots to hit -- fun is number one. Doing the demo gets a $100 off coupon toward a new bike. Trek fest in April should be 15 off also.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
April 12th and 13th the Factory Demo will be 90 minutes away in Cinci.
The Stache 8 and Superfly 9.8 will be out for riding.
I did this on my home trails last year.
The Stache climbs well, flows over bumps with the stable Trek ride that makes things easy. A bit heavy but very responsive. Great bike for skill development.
But the SF 9.8 is edgier with more trail feel and a full frame feel to the carbon compliance. I'd ride it anywhere a Fuel EX can go. Makes you look for rocks and roots to hit -- fun is number one. Doing the demo gets a $100 off coupon toward a new bike. Trek fest in April should be 15 off also.
VERY GOOD TO KNOW. I will have to make the trip so I can test them out. Thanks.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts
Not a single bike shop in my location (Louisville) can provide me with a Trek Stache to test ride in my size. They say they can order me one, but only if I purchase it first. I do not want to drop that sort of cash on a bike I have never tested.

I'd like to have an idea of the frame, especially when compared to Trek's Superfly (aluminum) models. For those who have owned (or tested) Trek's Stache models:

How does it ride?
Climbing ability?
120mm form worth it (compared to 100mm Superfly)
Thoughts/Comments?
I'd like to hear what kind of bike you want to be riding. Most that have them them, like them, but this is about what bike is right for you, not us.

I haven't ridden a Superfly, but have had my Stache for about a year. I have, however ridden many 100mm travel hardtail and FS bikes and I can say that the additional travel (100mm vs. 120mm) is a noticeable difference, and one I really like. I'm a large clyde, so what may be a bit stiff for average size riders may be just right compliance-wise for me. The Stache isn't the quickest turner, but I'd put it somewhere in the middle of the pack in that respect, which is no surprise given the 68.6° head tube angle. It is a very confident descender and a great all around bike.

It's not an 'all mountain' bike IMHO like the Niner ROS and other true heavy duty hardtails. More like a medium duty hardtail that has a lot of handy features built into the frame. If you only raced a few times a year (or never), but are mostly more of a spirited soul-rider type, the Stache would be an excellent choice.

Francis form right here on MTBR reviewed the Stache 8 last year:

Review: Trek Stache 8 ? Rally 29er Hardtail | Mountain Bike Review

Review: Trek Stache 8 ? Rally 29er Hardtail | Mountain Bike Review | Page 2

Review: Trek Stache 8 ? Rally 29er Hardtail | Mountain Bike Review | Page 3

Review: Trek Stache 8 ? Rally 29er Hardtail | Mountain Bike Review | Page 4

Here is our three part review for the 2013 Stache 8:

Out Of The Box: Trek/Fisher Stache 8

Mid Term: Trek/Fisher Stache 8

Trek/Fisher Stache 8: Final Thoughts.

And now Airborne has recently released a bike that is the closest thing to a Stache that I know of called the 'Goblin Evolution'. Might be worth a look too if you decide that is the type of bike you want.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello, i bought a Stache 7 last year, and as my first 29er, and my first non-rigid mountain bike, i love it. i bought it not knowing if id like the 29 inch as much as the 26, and i can honestly say ill never go back. it is a great bike, kinda heavy, but for the price, it is awesome. i ride in new england, mostly singletrack with alot of roots and rocks, and i feel the stache is pretty rugged. It has also changed my thoughts on the Trek brand itself. i never was a huge fan of their bikes, but they are starting to grow on me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts