Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 TREK Fuel EX 9.9 that has Avid Juicy Ultimate Brakes and both mounts are broken.

It's time for an upgrade - I want to purchase SRAM XX or XO.
What do I need to buy that I can change these out with minimal problems.

What are matchmaker adapters? Do I need these too?

Thanks for any info:
Rick

·
Registered
9,516 Posts
I have a 2009 TREK Fuel EX 9.9 that has Avid Juicy Ultimate Brakes and both mounts are broken.

It's time for an upgrade - I want to purchase SRAM XX or XO.
What do I need to buy that I can change these out with minimal problems.

What are matchmaker adapters? Do I need these too?

Thanks for any info:
Rick
Matchmaker adapters allow you to mount your sram brakes and sram shifters on the same mount. I have never really liked them personally, but some people think it tidys up the bars.

To change with minimal problems simply buy a new set. Unbolt old set. Bolt on new set.

If you are looking for a brake upgrade I would suggest seriously looking at Shimanos offerings (SLX/XT/XTR). They are significantly better then srams stuff.

·
Come on, dare me!
537 Posts
Another vote for the Shimanos. You can get a set of XTR for less than $400.00 (no rotors) if you know where to search. And you can find XTs for pretty cheap either new or slightly used. Other than that, if you're looking for light AND powerful, Formulas R0 are impressive, but more expensive than Shimanos.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another vote for Shimano brakes. I went to SLX m675 brakes with RT86 rotors last year. Never looking back, they are fantastic brakes, and they are a breeze to bleed (For the rare occasion where its needed).

·
Registered
85 Posts
+1 for Shimano XT. They are really not expensive, easy to install, easy to bleed, VERY consistent performance and feel, look awesome. In the national enduro series here in Mexico, all of the elites are running them.
Even if you want to stay with SRAM, then wait for the now GUIDE brakes which looks to be a real competition to Shimano XT and XTR's

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I actually just ditched my Juicy5's after years of service for Hope 2014 Tech3 X2's and couldnt be happier. I rode a few bikes with Shimano's and just didnt like the feel. Love the Hope's though, perfect modulation, excellent machining, nothing special needed to bleed them and every little peice is available if needed. Picked them up for under $300 shipped, bled and ready to go.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I run elixir 9 trails. Not the greatest stopping power but the modulation is great. Bleeding isn't that hard once you get iit down. They work more than ok for me.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I am going to say what pretty much everyone else is saying. Get the Shimano brakes and be done with it. Hope would be my second choice, then Formula. If you're buying new replacement brakes, I would stay away from avid brakes until they have proven themselves for at least as many years as they have been sucking for so many people thus far. The newer Guide brakes "look" like a step in the right direction, but they are not even available yet, so who knows.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
+1 for Shimano XT. They are really not expensive, easy to install, easy to bleed, VERY consistent performance and feel, look awesome. In the national enduro series here in Mexico, all of the elites are running them.
Even if you want to stay with SRAM, then wait for the now GUIDE brakes which looks to be a real competition to Shimano XT and XTR's
also, this. but still XT is where it's at

·
Clueless Bastard
684 Posts
I've had SRAM XOs on my Niner. They have been good, but after a year of cross country riding, they needed a bleed. I didn't get the results I wanted after doing it myself, so I took it to my local shop. They are better now, but I won't say amazing.

I had BB7s on my BearGrease and wasn't impressed with their stopping ability of those big tires and heavy wheels. Two days ago, I mounted up a set of Hope Tech 3s E4 dual pistons and they are so much more substantial.

So, based upon what Ive read on MTBR and what I experienced with my install. I have been so impressed Hope brakes will soon go on my Niner and replace the SRAM XOs.

If you want a good brake that is a value, the Shimano XT is pretty hard to beat If you want a brake that seems to last longer than the bikes they are on, go with Hopes. The new Guide brake should be a good one. I hope SRAM gets it right as their brakes seem to be kinda hit and miss.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have ridden Shimano Deores, SLX's and XTs. Everyone knows that Shimano has better reliability, and great value. However, I have ridden the Avid Elixir trail 9's and X0 Trails, and they both absolutely blow the all the Shimano's (that I have tried) out of the water on modulation, lever feel, and power. Since I have not tried XTR brakes, I cannot compare those to the Elixir's, but if you want the best control and lever feel, and can put up with a little more maintenance, I would definitely go with the Elixir Trail brakes, or wait for the new Guide brakes.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
Personally I like Hope brakes, easy to service/ bleed on your own, but on my go to bike, I use SRAM/ Avid XO trail brakes, but only after the XX WC's were warranted 2 times. Initially I was going to sell the XO brakes and get the Hopes, but after riding them, I was impressed, been almost a year and no problems, the only thing I don't like about the Avids, or about any other brakes, is the inability to work on them without special tools

·
Bikes are good
855 Posts
My avid elixirs were such crap, but since they were my first hydraulic brakes I thought they were perfect for years. Then, I tried some XT's, and they are as rad as everyone says they are. The faster you can stop, the faster you can go.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts