Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to true my wheels on both my MTB and Road bikes. What I need to know is what size spoke wrench to get and how is it that you determine this? I didn't look to see if there are any markings anywhere on the nipples, or do I literally need to use a caliper to measure them?I had my wheels built-up at the LBS using DT Swiss Spoke, DT 4.1 hoops and CK hubs. My road bike has the stock Bontrager Race-X Lite Wheels... I have done a bunch of searches, but nobody has addressed this based on the different searches I have done.I need to get a spoke wrench, have the Ultimate Truing stand on the way and want to have the proper spoke wrench in hand when it arrives.Thanks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hmm. Never tought about the size for a spoke wrench. I always tought nipples were a standard size. Although there could be a difference between mtb and road bikes.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
They also make universal spoke wrenches that have all the popular sizes. Park make a three way one shaped like a triangle and I've use round ones that have like 8 diferent sizes on one tool. But those round ones tend to suck cause your never in the right slot.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dan Gerous said:
You can get some kits that are basically the 3 most popular sizes, must not be the most expensive tools anyway. I also found this on Park's website:
Those 4 spoke wrenches on the Park Tools website is what prompted my original post/question. I know my MTB wheels have DT Swiss spokes, but I don't know the spokes for the Bontrager wheels on my Road bike. Plus if everyone is saying I need the "black" spoke wrench then what are the other three "colors" used for? Are they for older wheelsets? Something else?

I'll pickup a Park "black" and see how it fits.

Thanks everyone.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
spdrcr5 said:
Those 4 spoke wrenches on the Park Tools website is what prompted my original post/question. I know my MTB wheels have DT Swiss spokes, but I don't know the spokes for the Bontrager wheels on my Road bike. Plus if everyone is saying I need the "black" spoke wrench then what are the other three "colors" used for? Are they for older wheelsets? Something else?

I'll pickup a Park "black" and see how it fits.

Thanks everyone.
I think Bontrager use DT spokes (so probably nipples too). They at least do on their mountain wheels, I'm not sure about their road offerings though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dan Gerous said:
I think Bontrager use DT spokes (so probably nipples too). They at least do on their mountain wheels, I'm not sure about their road offerings though.
Just went down to the garage and checked the spokes on my road bike... they are indeed DT spokes! Will pickup a Park "black" on Friday when I am at the LBS swapping out parts on my Yeti.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maida7 said:
the other colors are for dept store bikes, kids bikes, beach cruisers, etc... those cheaper bikes have fat nipples
Thanks. Didn't even think about those types of bikes at all. lol

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
a lot of machine made or japan made wheels use the red spoke wrench. like my mavic 139's with deore hub. cheap but have lasted 3 years and I am a clydesdale.

·
Registered
591 Posts
i bought a red one over ten years ago and it worked on every wheel i owned back then. besides it's only 9 thousandths of an inch

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Consider the Pedros ...

spdrcr5 said:
Just went down to the garage and checked the spokes on my road bike... they are indeed DT spokes! Will pickup a Park "black" on Friday when I am at the LBS swapping out parts on my Yeti.
The Park spoke wrenches are quality stuff. But the Pedro wrenches are better as they grip the nipple on all four sides.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
willtsmith_nwi said:
The Park spoke wrenches are quality stuff. But the Pedro wrenches are better as they grip the nipple on all four sides.
Here is how the new Park Tool spoke wrenches are designed now:

Anyone have any pics showing how the Pedro's fit onto the nipples?

Edit: I found a decent picture showing the Pedro's grabs 3 corners and parts of all 4 sides.

·
Ride on
639 Posts
I have a triangular multisize spoke wrench, and it sucks. Can't you take your bikes to your LBS and borrow their wrenches to figure out the correct size?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts