Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from an epic western N. Carolina trip that could've been a disaster. I have a Santa Cruz Blur XC and after trying to eliminate a creak, I applied red loc-tite to all my pivot bolts (I should've used blue). I sheared off the heads of two bolts while in N.C. and was luckily able to find a replacement bolt at a shop in town. The problem is that the other one is stuck in there and when I need to remove the others, the same thing will happen I'm sure.

Loc-tite recommends using heat to remove bolts sealed w/ red but if I do that, I run the risk of my aluminum frame being warped. Does anybody have experience with red loctite and using an EZ out? This seems like my only option unless someone has something else to suggest. Please help me save my 6-month old frame.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
I wouldn't worry about warping the frame. Get ahold of a small butane torch. The flame these produce is small with a tight tip -- easy to apply just to the head of a bolt and nothing else. With the torch, a long breaker bar, and a light touch, you should be able to remove the remaining bolts with just the right amount of heat applied.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I talked to a couple of guys at Carolina Fats bike shop in Asheville who were wary of using heat. Even though aluminum doesn't melt until 661 F, they said the heat could weaken the frame and cause bigger problems. They suggested it as a last recourse. I may have to go that route eventually but is using an EZ out tool with red loctite a good possibility?

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
kranest said:
is using an EZ out tool with red loctite a good possibility?
No, it's not.

The EZ-Out is only substituting for a non-existent bolt head (rounded out socket, for example). You'll probably have more trouble with that than you will with **localized** heat.

Another possibility: I don't know how the pivots are set up on your bike, but if the pivot bolts tap into a 2-sided removable sleeve, you could grind the head off of one bolt, then tap it out the other side. Probably the best way to check for this is to turn the pivot bolt on one side of the bike, and see if the bolt on the other side turns with it.

Again, even that is more trouble than just applying a touch of heat, breaking the bond, and removing the things. You're not going to be torching the whole frame, just the head of the problem fastener.

·
Registered
73 Posts
using heat on the bolt will loosen the bolt the problem with heat is annealing it will soften the structure of the metal and change its properties. red loctite is tenacious stuff use heat sparingly and maybe try to keep the surounding area cool with a spray bottle should help
the only other thing i can forsee is that the bolt will be weakend by the heat when dealing with frozen or seized bolts on cars i'll heat with a torch then quickly quench them with cold water works for rust but not sure it will work on loctite goodluck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.