So i have my uzzi builded like this

talas 36 160
sram 9 rear derailleur
truvativ hammerschimidt
avid xo brakes
Chris king hubs with mavic rims
continental UST queen 2.4 front and back
crank brother mallets pedals.

I am wondering of changing the hammerschmidt for a double crank like sram 9 with chain guide will be enough to light this bike up and make it more climb friendly? any other suggestions without braking the bank??

Cesar

#2 ·
What is the total weight of the bike now? What Mavic rims are you running? If you sell your wheels you could get a set of Hope Pro2 Evo SP hubs on Stan's Flow EX rims. About 1800 grams for the pair. Drop the Mallets for something lighter. Ditch the Rubber Queen UST for Schwalbe Hans Dampfs. What shock/spring are you running. If you have coil sprung shock swap to an air shock to save a lot of weight albeit with some potential draw backs. But you can gain some sort of a pedal platform...
If you want a lighter bike that can climb, keep your current parts and sell your frame and buy a Tracer maybe?

#5 ·
i think my bike is @ 38 lb, I have the fox talas 36 (air). I am not planning in selling it, just want to change some parts to make it more climb friendly. I think I would star with the hammerschmidt. also any suggestion on tires, I really like the continentals but I think when I am climbing feels like a tractor.

:rolleyes:

#18 · (Edited)
First offroad ride today... LOVING IT!!! And CCDB Air is fantastic. Still havent touch any setting since I got the Frame.

Intense Uzzi M Size, 125psi,

High Speed Compression - 2 turns clockwise

Low Speed Compression - 18 turns clockwise

High Speed Rebound - 2 turns clockwise

Low Speed Rebound - 18 turns clockwise

First Offroad Test... Amazing

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151073473506577

#9 ·
this:
sits at 32.5#. Just weighed it the other day. Was surprised. XT cranks (1x9), XT brakes, x9 shifters, thomson stem and post. float 160 up front, dbl barrel w/ti spring rear. old havoc wheels, ardent 2.4s, kona wahs, . . . no ti, no carbon.

concur w/others. drop the schmidt, pedals, maybe tires...if you're running a coil find a used ti spring . . .

#13 ·
I really like them. I did have one pair where the side knobbies seemed to come about half unglued from the body of the tire.. which then made cornering really sketchy. But, the other sets of FA's that I've had haven't done that, so maybe it was a quality issue with one particular production run.

#19 ·
do some diligence when shopping for a ti spring. The cost/reward ratio can be quite large depending on what steel spring you are using. And definitely dial your suspension in finding the correct steel spring before shopping for a ti spring.

If you can locate an old Manitou ti spring in the correct weight/length on ebay, they are by far the lightest ti springs around. They are getting more rare all the time though. Cost is usually very good too.

#15 ·
Sorry about hijacking this thread, but I´m also looking ways to lighten my Uzzi up. Here she is:

She´s right now at 14,8kg. I don´t know if I have reached the limit with it without losing strenght component vice. I don´t think there are any majos wight savings to be made.
The brakes are Juicy 5´s wich work just fine. Could they be changed to somethin lighter?

#23 ·
@ cvega

It looks like you have a bike that is the jack of all trades, but the master of none.

There are a couple areas where sacrifices could be made, but it would help to know your weight and the terrain you ride (lighter rims and faster rolling tires do wonders for making a bike `feel lighter`). The rim/ tire combo is heavy.

An air shock will save weight and will most likely perform better than the DHX 4. It`s not a great shock (don`t waste money putting a Ti spring on it).

If you are just riding long fire roads up and then descending, maybe a traditional post is more advantageous. The Hammerschmidt isn`t light, but it is low and keeps the handling of the bike in check.

A light cassette, saddle, and a ghetto UST tire setup are cheaper ways to drop weight. Again, rolling speed can be more important than weight.

#25 ·
Well I ride demo forest a lot, also I like to do technical climbs and come down as fast as I can. I did some changes already, change the hammerschidt for a race face atlas 2x9, changed tires, I am running nubby nick UST. and the last time I rode my bike it felt smooth but checking its weight just dropped only half pound. I think I would change my rims for stand no tube flows. I had tried air shock in the past but i did like much ( I am 220#) also I got ti spring.

cesar

#26 ·
Lightened mine a little

I recently did a minor overhaul on the bike and it's now down to 33 lbs. I recently swapped out my stem/bar to havocs ( -100g)and changed my CCDB w/ti coil (755g) to a x-fusion H3 air (382g)...that's minus 0.8 lbs. The CCDB coil was awesome to say the least but with the x-fusion, I'm now able to climb much better because it has a lock-out switch. Basic setup....Fox float 180 (5.3 lbs), Easton Havens (1650g), Kenda nevagals (700g each), easton havoc stem (170g), havoc carbon bar (220g), Raceface deus crankset (850g), Formula the one brakes (700g/pair). Other than maybe swapping out the crankset for some carbon ones, I can't think of anything else that I can shave weight on. The dropper post adds about 1/2 lb, but I can't even imagine not riding without one. Like everyone mentioned above, biggest weight savings to cost will be wheels/tires and air shock. Everything else, you'll be paying big bucks for a few grams.

Attachments

#29 ·
My Intense Uzzi 2013...
Just a simple photo shoot of my current setup as of 21 July 2013.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire

Product Red Bicycle accessory Line Carmine

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory White Line Font

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycle frame Black

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycle handlebar Red

Bicycle part Bicycle frame Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle saddle Bicycle accessory

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory White Line Font

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle part Spoke

Mode of transport Bicycle part Transport Bicycle accessory Bicycle drivetrain part

Parallel Iron Square Steel

Bicycle tire Mode of transport Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Spoke

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle Spoke

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

[video]http://instagram.com/p/cBSwnJkYwP/?fb_action_ids=10152384616544057&fb_action_types=instapp%3Atake&fb_ref=ogexp&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=[404420923012658]&action_type_map=[%22instapp%3Atake%22]&action_ref_map=[%22ogexp%22]#[/video]

#30 ·
My Intense Uzzi 2013...
Just a simple photo shoot of my current setup as of 21 July 2013.

View attachment 817816

View attachment 817817

View attachment 817818

View attachment 817819

View attachment 817820

View attachment 817821

View attachment 817822

View attachment 817823

View attachment 817824

View attachment 817825

View attachment 817826

View attachment 817827

View attachment 817828

View attachment 817829

View attachment 817830

[video]http://instagram.com/p/cBSwnJkYwP/?fb_action_ids=10152384616544057&fb_action_types=instapp%3Atake&fb_ref=ogexp&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=[404420923012658]&action_type_map=[%22instapp%3Atake%22]&action_ref_map=[%22ogexp%22]#[/video]
Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.