Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I weighed my Ellsworth Truth today and I was pretty happy with the weight. It came in at 24.75 pounds. I would really like to get it under 24 pounds though. The problem is that I am pretty happy with most of my build. I think the most beneficial change would be the wheelset and tires.

Here is the current build:

18" Truth frame
White Brothers XC 1.0 fork
Magura Marta SL brakes
SRAM X-9 trigger shifters w/ cables
XT front derailleur
SRAM X.0 rear derailleur
XT cassette (11-34)
SRAM chain (think it's pc69)
American Classic ISIS bb
FSA Carbon Pro crankset
Hugi 240 hubs
Mavic 317 rims
XT quick releases
Stans no-tubes
Continental Explorer & Escape tire
Thomson stem & seatpost
Fizik Gobi saddle
FSA K-force low rise carbon bar
Scott foam grips (going to give them a try)
FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro
Crank brothers Candy SL pedals

I can change out the pedals for a set of regular stainless egg beaters that I have laying around on the less technical riding days. That will help out some. I am thinking about replacing the wheelset with a set of American Classic 350 disc wheels. I plan on using Stan's no tubes along with some Tioga Red Phoenix tires. Has anyone tried these wheels out?

Anyway, do you think that will get me under 24 pounds?

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Here are some ideas:

XT front derailleur -Tune with Alum Bolts
XT cassette (11-34) - XTR 11-32
SRAM chain (think it's pc69) - PC-99 HP
FSA Carbon Pro crankset - ExtraOctaRamps ring and ExtraBolt 1
XT quick releases -Ti or Steel Bolt-Ons
Thomson stem & seatpost -Syntace F99 or Extralite UltraStem/ Extralite/Tune/ControlTech Carbon Comp Seatpost
FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro - Extralite FreeHead

Everythng else I would just keep or maybe some new wheels. The AC or have Mike Garcia build some up: WTB/DT XR 4.1??

Just the few suggestions I gave might get a pound off.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Agreed with dirtboy in a way..

Skewers- I would say get some steel bolt-ons.

Look into a different stem, the seatpost I can understand tho:)

Also, I would probably keep your current hubs, get them built up to some Stans olympic rims with CX ray spokes... that would be sweet!

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Looks like it's time to make some decisions. Unfortunately it has to be put on hold a bit. I need to buy a spare fork to have while I send my White Bros in to be serviced. This brings up a whole new dilema.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
those sram trigger shifters are around 300g, pretty heavy. Options are the twist shifters or shimano pods + xtr derailer. Both of those options would save a good deal of weight, although at this point you don't have any options to save a lot of weight for a little bit of money.

the shimano CN-7701 xtr/dura ace chain is as light as the sram PC99 hollow, I feel it is much stronger due to my experience with em...

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, the weight of the shifters including the cables was 281 grams, unfortunately I didn't get to weigh them without cables. That weight was before trimming the cables. After riding with the SRAM rear derailleur I doubt I will ever go back to a shimano rear derailleur. The X.0 just felt like it shifted really crisp, kind of reminded me of my campy record on my roadie.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Jm. said:
those sram trigger shifters are around 300g, pretty heavy. Options are the twist shifters or shimano pods + xtr derailer. Both of those options would save a good deal of weight, although at this point you don't have any options to save a lot of weight for a little bit of money.
How do you figure?

According to weight weenies, LX pods weigh 246 grams w/o cables, XT pods weigh 250 grams w/o cables, XTR pods weigh 259 grams w/o cables. X7/X9 shifters weigh 252 grams w/o cables.

XTR Rear Der weighs 203 grams. XO Rear Der weighs 205 grams.

I don't see a huge weight savings.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
DoubleDown said:
How do you figure?

According to weight weenies, LX pods weigh 246 grams w/o cables, XT pods weigh 250 grams w/o cables, XTR pods weigh 259 grams w/o cables. X7/X9 shifters weigh 252 grams w/o cables.

XTR Rear Der weighs 203 grams. XO Rear Der weighs 205 grams.

I don't see a huge weight savings.
Step into my office;

X9 trigger shifters are 292g w/cables.

Shimano LX shifters with indicators removed are 222g

The longer halfpipe type sram shifters are also around 300g, a bad choice.

The shorter sram X0 shifters are more like 197g with cables.

So if you wanted to go with the shorty twist shifters you'd save about 100g, that's a pretty huge amount of weight saved.

The shimano's shifters are a little heavier than the sram shortys, but lighter than what you are using now, but the xtr rear derailer is a bit lighter than the X0, so again, you ultimately save weight, around 50g if you went with an XT pod setup with the indicators removed and an XTR rear derailer.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
LowCel said:
The X.0 just felt like it shifted really crisp, kind of reminded me of my campy record on my roadie.
Derailers aren't crisp, shifters are what make derailers crisp. And new anything is always going to feel better than something that is worn. ;)

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well my XT rear derailleur had about three rides on it, that is pretty new. :) I have had plenty of shimano and it never felt as crisp and precise as the SRAM. Anyway, this is just my opinion and everyone knows what they say about opinions. :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Jm. said:
Derailers aren't crisp, shifters are what make derailers crisp. And new anything is always going to feel better than something that is worn. ;)
SRAM rear derailers seem to have more spring tension, which is probably due to the imperfection of the twist shifter design. SRAM does in fact feel "crisp", but certainly not any faster or more precise. I use SRAM for its durability, weight and price... and not for its performance benefit (which it does not have)...

-b

·
2,548 Posts
I say that 24.something lbs for a Truth is a respectable weight....I say be a "money weenie" and just ride it as is, thereby saving $$$ (as opposed to spending to save a lil weight). I'd be happy with a sub-25 lb fs bike:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.