Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Mexican e-rider
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my trusty 5-Spot on a scale today, and although its not the most accurate, it came out to 13.8 kgs or around 30 pounds. NOT exactly lightweight but I'm not really worried about it.

So how much does your steed weigh?

·
karmacoma
635 Posts
I once weigh my flux and came out to around 13kg, and my c'dale HT to high 11kg. I could get lighter forks for my girls and drop at least half a kilo, new wheels would do about the same, but thats just out of my budget at the moment.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
I haven't weighed mine... But honestly, I don't think I could build her for less than 13kg without a ton of budget. I'd have to swap the fork (Zoke AM1) for something definitively weight weenie like a Revelation or a Fox.

I'm upgrading a lot of parts as of late, and mind you, the only area where I'm actually saving significant weight is the crankset and maybe the tyres themselves.

On the rest of the bike, weight savings are marginal. X.7's are not much lighter than Deores, my new wheels save like 100grs tops... but the crankset should be like 200-250grs lighter. Tyres should make for something between 300grs weight savings. And at the tyres, that's a lot.

That said, I wouldn't put weight before reliability and I love my "tank". It's unstopable.

But if you want to drop weight on your 5-Spot, dump that GD and get a MotoLite frame. :p

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Mine? I have no real way to accurately weight the bike. I did weight it once with a bathroom scale and came around 13.8 Kg or something (average of 3 readings) and my hardtail for around 13.0 Kg. (although maybe, if I weight is at it is, it might be like 9 or 10 kg... sans fork and wheels ;) )

If I eventualy get my new fork and wheels I don't know how that will impact my weight, but I think it's not going to be important.

·
Mexican e-rider
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Warp said:
But if you want to drop weight on your 5-Spot, dump that GD and get a MotoLite frame. :p
The question was not that much about wanting to loose weight on the Spot, if anything I'm slowly going in the opposite direction with it :thumbsup:, I was more curious about what everyone else is pushing around the mountain.

I have come to realise that light weight bikes are ghey and I am finally over my weight weenie-ness :eek: (but I still have the Flux for those days where you need a light weigth bike) :D

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
elmadaleno said:
The question was not that much about wanting to loose weight on the Spot, if anything I'm slowly going in the opposite direction with it :thumbsup:, I was more curious about what everyone else is pushing around the mountain.

I have come to realise that light weight bikes are ghey and I am finally over my weight weenie-ness :eek: (but I still have the Flux for those days where you need a light weigth bike) :D
Yeah, light bikes are nice... But up there in the mountain "heavy", sturdy components rule.

Light is nice until it breaks... and there's no point on limiting your riding to have light bike.

We have some declared weight weenies.... Vizcaino and Equilibrum come to my mind, both have insane light bikes. But they're XC racerboys. Vizcaino competes in the Guanajuato's State league and with good results. He should be in the top ten or so in his category. He climbs Ajusco like a walk in the park... Man, the guy is smoking fast... But we could teach him some manners on the way down ;)

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
Warp said:
Yeah, light bikes are nice... But up there in the mountain "heavy", sturdy components rule.

Light is nice until it breaks... and there's no point on limiting your riding to have light bike.

We have some declared weight weenies.... Vizcaino and Equilibrum come to my mind, both have insane light bikes. But they're XC racerboys. Vizcaino competes in the Guanajuato's State league and with good results. He should be in the top ten or so in his category. He climbs Ajusco like a walk in the park... Man, the guy is smoking fast... But we could teach him some manners on the way down ;)
It's all a balance.... I try to go for the strongest/lightest possible parts.... reliability first... but no unnecessary extra weight if possible....

·
Mexican e-rider
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Warp said:

I really wonder if its really true for the type of riding we are doing :rolleyes: Its one thing to be doing DJ stuff, and another to feel like superman with a 3' huck!!! :eek: So far, I have yet to break a single piece of equipment exept for wheelsets on a XC racer and a RS Mag 21 that gave in after years of service!

·
Me hates pinchflat
2,415 Posts
crisillo said:
It's all a balance.... I try to go for the strongest/lightest possible parts.... reliability first... but no unnecessary extra weight if possible....
Yes. Id rather have heavy duty components though. Just because im too cheap to buy the fancy lighter stuff :p

·
Mexican e-rider
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
tacubaya said:
Its scientifically proven that 19 kilo bikes beats everything heavier or lighter (in terms of DH)
Please explain, we expect to see graphs and formulas. :eekster:

Lets see if you are paying attention in physics class

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.