Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a 4500 Trek hardtrail and ride on trails for 60% of the time and about 40% on asphalt.

Someone has recommended that I go with Continental Trail King with Black Chile which cost about $49 each.

Is this my best bet ? Need advice especially since I am a newbie.

Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Many options out there

You have many options out there and it depends on what kind of trails you ride. Since you spend a lot of time on pavement as well I would choose a rear tire that rolls fast with minimal tread.

The black chilli compound is very good, you could try the Trail King on front and a Race King on the back. This might strike the right balance for you.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,437 Posts
What sort of trails and what conditions? That will play a huge part in what you should choose. A tyre for baked clay, hard trails will be different than a tyre for rough, rocky trails, etc.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tires

Sideknob,

Good question about the riding surface and it varies slightly but it is normally rail trail type surfaces in NY so there are some bumpy rocky sections, some nice stone dust sections and other areas that are slight low spots so they are muddy with softer material since water stays there longer. Sometimes, a little singletrack in soft soil.

I am sure I am being to particular, I just turned 60 so it's not like I am really doing crazy stuff but I do love to ride!!

Thanks,

Rich

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,437 Posts
Probably plenty of options out there that won't break the bank then, or be too radical.

For asphalt you won't want anything too knobby and draggy, and of a soft compound that will wear out - but then you still want something that will give you good traction offroad.

A good all around knobby up front will give you the steering control you need offroad and not add much to rolling resistance on the asphalt - the Kenda Nevegal in a 2.1 is a good all around tyre for what you describe. You could pair that up with a faster rolling tyre on the back - like the Kenda Small Block Eight.

The 2.2 Kenda Karma up front, with a 2.0 Karma out back also.

Another good combo would be the 2.35 single ply Maxxis High roller up front, with a faster rolling tyre out the back, like the 2.1 Crossmark or Monorail, for example.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tire advice

Sideknob,

Your recommendation makes sense and since I will go with it but have another question.

I have read the tire is tubeless, is this going to make it more susceptible to problems ?

I am unfamiliar with all of the pros & cons to tube vs tubeless tires.

Thanks again,

Rich

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
rickcin said:
Sideknob,

Your recommendation makes sense and since I will go with it but have another question.

I have read the tire is tubeless, is this going to make it more susceptible to problems ?

I am unfamiliar with all of the pros & cons to tube vs tubeless tires.

Thanks again,

Rich
There are standard and tubeless options for most of the models mentioned. Do not get the tubeless version of the tire.

Stick with inner tubes.
There is little to no advantage to tubeless for your application.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts