Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer I've been riding mainly singletrack in Western Michigan which is nice hardpack, but really really really sandy in the corners and in low spots on the trail. The trails are quick with some tough sandy climbs. Lots of tree roots. Currently riding Bontrager Jones ACX TR 2.2" which grip great in rocks and mud, but seem to dig into the sand too easily which slows me down. Plus they're very nobby and not the fastest tires on hardpack. I'm running about 40 PSI.

Please recommend a good front/rear tire for sand. I was thinking about a pair of Nevegal 2.10" earlier in the season, but now I'm not sure how they'd be in these conditions. My friend has a set of Bontrager Super Revolt TR 2.2" whic he really seems to like in the sand.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Volume

I'd run a light 2.4-2.5 or the biggest tire that will fit you're frame that has a weight you can live with. The Conti Diesel floats very well but isn't the best hardpack cornering tire but it rolls very well for such a big tire(actual width 2.4). The 2.4 Maxis advantage has better traction in all conditions but as a front it roosts sand right in you're face is heavier, taller and more like a 2.3. If you're worried about weight I'd try the 2.4 Schwalbr Nobby Nic; an actual 2.25 that weighs 600g and has very aggressive tread or the Racing Ralph which is 50g lighter faster but not as good in the corners.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.