Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Wheel Builder
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know there are a lot of reviews on a lot of different tires but I know that tire tech changes every year. I have two questions I was hoping you guys can help me with. Gas prices are getting crazy so I went out and ordered another bike just for having fun on the way to work. The issue is the road to work has given me more glass, metal shavings, and thorns in my tubes then any road I have ever seen before.

Tire- I am looking for the best mix of low rolling resistance with a little bit of grip on the sides. I would assume a harder tire is better to deal with my road hazard situation but I don't want a cheap rubber compound.

Saddle- I am looking for a saddle in white that is super comfortable and wont leave me sterile after many miles in the saddle. (sorry if this isn't the right place for the seat question, trying not to spam)

Any recommendations would be awesome.

·
Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
651 Posts
Specialized Hemisphere Armadillos while pretty damn heavy have been nigh on bulletproof for me for rails to trails and urban road use and handle pretty well on wet or dry pavement, gravel, and light duty relatively flat and dry off road. I've pulled a whole bunch of glass, staples, thorns etc. out of the outer casing of the set I have and never had it make it through the inner casing and cause a flat in ~800+ miles. Not the absolute best as far as rolling resistance goes, but way better than any low tread off road tire I've tried.

Saddles definitely seem to be very personal. Determine your correct sizing, find an LBS w/ a liberal demo program and try a bunch until you find one that fits the bill for you.

·
sketchiness abounds...
89 Posts
What are your bike specs? Include geometry, stem, bars & what rim model & size...

I'd go with one of the many tires out there with puncture protection layers, some of which wrap quite high into the sidewalls. Continental and Michelin, just as examples, both have such systems present in various tread patterns - from slick to quite knobby.

Are ya ridin' on a mix of dirt & pavement? Or just pavement?

As for seats, I do have to say I agree with vanamees. I recently went from a semi-downhill oversize padded older-tech seat to an inexpensive new WTB Comp V and was amazed that this slimmer and lighter seat was actually more comfortable on long-ish rides.

For road only use, your riding position is going to be important in picking a new seat. If you are riding seated mostly, and if your bars are higher than your seat, etc...

·
Wheel Builder
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thank you all for your recomendations!

Jeff - those came to mind, I may ride through some slight dirt trails (can never resist dirt), are these too slick on the sides for cornering on hard packed?

vanamees - I figured as much. Thank you for your reply.

sid - The armadillos may be a bit much for what I am doing on this bike, but perfect for another! thanks!

Stratosrally - Defiantly going to hit dirt and pavement, but mostly pavement. I will be in the saddle a lot. I can choose the rims based off the tires if need be.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I came across a tire that might also work for you. It's the Bontrager LT3. It's a light trail tire that designed for fast rolling on both pavement and trail. My LBS recommended them to me, and they have the tire available for only $25 a tire.

Might be worth checking out. Here is the link:
Bontrager LT3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.