Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a decent launch suite. A few days ago I was riding after a long rainy night, my left foot slipped and I got more concerned about getting it back on as opposed to where I was heading and I ended up slamming into a tree. I ended up with a hairline fracture in my left forearm, slightly seperated my left shoulder, as well as a bruised as hell hip and knee.

I'm not so much worried about my legs as I am my upper body. I want a good balance between function/price.

What do you guys use or what would you suggest? My budget is around $150 USD.
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
42,998 Posts
cyrix said:
I need a decent launch suite. A few days ago I was riding after a long rainy night, my left foot slipped and I got more concerned about getting it back on as opposed to where I was heading and I ended up slamming into a tree. I ended up with a hairline fracture in my left forearm, slightly seperated my left shoulder, as well as a bruised as hell hip and knee.

I'm not so much worried about my legs as I am my upper body. I want a good balance between function/price.

What do you guys use or what would you suggest? My budget is around $150 USD.
what is a launch suite???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
486 Posts
I'm assuming you're talking about an upper body pad system like the 661 pressure suit or the rockgardn flak jacket.

You should realize that if you hit something hard enough to sustain a hairline fracture and a separated shoulder, a pressure suit type unit is not going to prevent that. Those pads are designed to protect from scratches, cuts, scrapes and contusions, but if you're going fast enough to break bones, some foam and plastic padding isn't going to be of much use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
Flak Jacket. Use code vip10 at Universal Cycles. I love mine, use it for DH and moto. I hit a root and went over the front fast right onto a rock with my chest. Lost my breath for a minute but the Flak Jacket prevented a much more serious injury. BTW, I got tired of smashing my hips every time I lowside so I picked up the Rockgardn CYA shorts, big thumbs up there as well.
 

·
Single(Pivot)and Happy
Joined
·
1,778 Posts
This suit has articulated elbow and knee joints for easier pedaling a great range of motion. It's fairly lightweight. Exactly what you're looking for;

The helmet in this picture sucks, poor ventilation, I traded it in for a Giro Remedy CF.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
08nwsula said:
heal first
then hit the weights
Yeah, that's not going to help prevent injuries from slamming into stationary objects, and as far as I'm concerned I'm built enough.

Hesh to Steel said:
I'm assuming you're talking about an upper body pad system like the 661 pressure suit or the rockgardn flak jacket.

You should realize that if you hit something hard enough to sustain a hairline fracture and a separated shoulder, a pressure suit type unit is not going to prevent that. Those pads are designed to protect from scratches, cuts, scrapes and contusions, but if you're going fast enough to break bones, some foam and plastic padding isn't going to be of much use.
I realize that it's not an end all solution, but it will help. Some padding is better than none, otherwise you'd be dropping down mountains in nothing but a pair of boxers, and unless I'm retarded, which I dunno is up for debate I suppose, you're not doing that. I'm surprised it's taken this friggin long for me to hit something like that. I guess I've just been lucky so far....

stretch169 said:
Flak Jacket. Use code vip10 at Universal Cycles. I love mine, use it for DH and moto. I hit a root and went over the front fast right onto a rock with my chest. Lost my breath for a minute but the Flak Jacket prevented a much more serious injury. BTW, I got tired of smashing my hips every time I lowside so I picked up the Rockgardn CYA shorts, big thumbs up there as well.
Yeah I was looking at picking up some shorts anyways, I don't need anything major, maybe some minor hip protection. Having bruises constantly isn't a whole lot of fun. Thanks for the suggestions.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top