Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchase a Burner I would like some suggestions on building it up a light as possible. The only thing I've purchased besides the frame is a Chris King headset. Any suggestions....especially ones that don't break the bank. :p

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flying Wombat said:
Light, strong, cheap, as Keith Bontrager famously said, pick 2.
Give us an idea of how much you weigh and what kind of terrain you ride? XC racing only? Smooth rolling singletrack? Rougher terrain?
I weight 185lbs and am 5'10. Ride a lot of single track and it's pretty much a mixture of smooth single track and techinical terrain consisting of a lot of roots and small man made log jump/ramps. If I had to pick two... I would say light and cheap. This will be a second bike and I want it to have more of a XC build. Thanks.....

·
Registered
173 Posts
For a fork

ya might look for a marzocchi mx at one of the online stores. All of the feedback i've seen on it has been very positive. I read recently that Jensonusa has them for 260. Don't know how light they are but that is cheap! The eta is a great feature. I have a marathon with eta and it helps on the climbs.

(just checked and jenson only has the 85mm version. Stick with the 105 mm for sure)

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
Remember if you go light and cheap you give up strength, and component failure can be harardous to your health:
Suggestions: Fork: Marzocchi as suggested, Fox Float 100 would be nice if you could get one on closeout, go with the R model, cheaper and works better.
Set of decent custom wheels with Shimano hubs and mavic rims. Avid mechanical discs will save you some cash.
For components consider Superhoe's weyless line. A lot of it is turned out of the same factories that make other big name stuff, but without the price tag.
Drivetrain SRAM X7, not much heavier than X9, cheaper. Unless you like flippy shifters and back to front derailleurs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
A set of Sid Race's will save a fair amount of weight and are reasonably cheap. People slag then off but I reakon they are a great fork

FSA and Ritchey gear is cheap and light as well.

Have a look at the Shimano web site as many low end parts are almost identical to high end stuff. E.g. XT and Deore hubs weigh the same. Centre lock hubs are also far lighter then 5 bolt hubs

You can make massive savings in weight by picking the right tyres as these vary a fair amount. Remember though that tyres are one of the most important things so dont go for weight over function.

There are a few websites out there with info on really light parts

Have a look at the other forums as there is one for light bikes

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. :)

·
Premium Member
7,612 Posts
Just my few thoughts for budget light parts:

1) Manitou Skareb forks. They are available on closeout right now for less than $300, weigh between 3.2-3.5 pounds and are much stiffer than a SID.

2) Sette Stem, Bars, and Seatpost from Pricepoint, Stem weighs 130-140 grams, costs $24.99 and is stiff. Steapost is 250 grams, but 400 mm long and can be cut down to lose weight, cost $19.99. Bars are Carbon Fiber cost $49.99 and weigh 174 grams.

3) You seat is a quick place to loose weight. Seats can run from 100 grams to 400+. It is pretty easy to find a comfortable, inexpensive 200 gram or so seat.

4) Pedals. I like shimano's but they weigh 375+ grams. Eggbeaters, frogs or other pedals are a fast way to drop 100+ grams.

5) Shimano LX cranks and ES-51 bb. Not the lightest but within 50 grams of cranks costing more than twice as much, stiff and reliable and leave money for other things.

6) Wheelset. Here is a place to spend a bit of money. $325 or so gets you WTB Hubs and Mavic rims for a wheelset that weighs less than 1600 grams.

7) As already mentioned, tires can allow you to lose a lot of weight quickly.

Keep in mind that light weight is not the end all, be all. Sure those little Kenda tires weigh 400 grams, but a high volume 550 gram 2.0 tire will likely provide much more traction and be well worth the extra weight penalty.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where can I get a Manitou Skareb fork for $300? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,612 Posts
Jenson had the platniums on sale for $299, also check Supergo and Colorado Cyclist. There have also been quite a few for sale on Ebay, just make sure it is a 2004. Finally, I bought my elite from Chad are redbarncycles prior to the price drops and he gave me a great price that was bellow $300.

·
Premium Member
7,612 Posts
Few more things.

1) I was thumbing through the latest supergo flyer at lunch and saw they have Aireon saddles for $29 that weigh 170 or so grams.

2) You should be able to build the bike pretty easily into the 24-25 pound range and still have it reliable. I know that my bike (do a search) weighs right at 28.5 pounds. Take it, get rid of the Specialized Airlock sealant (less 200 grams), sub my Hope XC hubs for the WTB hubs (185 grams), my Contentental Vertical UST for Python Ultralight UST (360 grams for the pair), shimano pedals for SS Eggbeaters (110 grams), terry fly sattle for Aeon (70 grams), Thomson stem for Sette (50 grams), Fox Float for the Skareb (100+ grams), and my Juicy 7 brakes for Magura Marta SL or Hope Mini brakes (150-200 grams) and you end up with the bike right at 25 pounds. This would still be a bike that is UST, has disks, with large volume 2.0 tires and able to handle trails for about $2300. Go with non ust rims, regular Python ultralights, and stans (I personally would rather haul the extra weight and reliability of the UST) and you could drop another pound pretty easily.

Good luck

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a Fox Float 100 RL that is barely used. Less than 200 miles. I will sell it to you if you are interested. Please let me know if you are interested in it. We can discuss price if you are. It is just sitting in the box right now as I put a Float 100 RLC on for racing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.