Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all. I am in need of a replacement BB for my 1999 Gary Fisher Big Sur (73x113). I am looking for recommendations. My crank is the original, Shimano STX-RC.

I ride about 25 times per year, weight 180 at 5'9", no racing yet, but might enter a few for fun rather than compete (if that matters).

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Are you looking at standard bb's or a high end bb? Jensonusa has the basic un-26 and the better un-54 shimano bb's. I'm not familiar with the more expensive ones. Like most parts, you can spend as much as your budget allows.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
considering the shorter season in Milwaukee, I do not ride as much as I would like. However, I do not mind spending a bit more for a better piece of equipment.

With that said, probably something a little more durable than what I had, which was an old Shimano (I don't have the part number on me now).

so maybe a minor upgrade would be nice for me. I will take a look at your recommendations, and see if any others come through.

Prost!

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you will be using your old square taper cranks, the Shimano UN-54 will probably give you the most bang for your buck. I have always gotten pretty long lifespans out of Shimano cartridge bottom brackets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.