Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
mtbpete
1,304 Posts
I would think that there is a large price difference between carbon Rovals and the King/Arch combo.

Given the same price, carbon generally has a better strength to weight ratio, but at the same time carbon can crack when it hits rocks vs. denting an alloy rim.

In my experience with the Roval rims it was difficult to inflate tires tubeless on them. For 2014 they may have improved this. The Arch EX's have always worked great tubeless and are plenty strong enough for your weight.

The Chris King hubs will definitely have quicker engagement than the hubs on the Rovals.

Another thing to consider is how well the wheels have been built. I've read of some issues with the Roval builds on these forums. If the Arch EX's were handbuilt by a reputable company they will likely last a very long time.

·
Chris Bling
2,594 Posts
I'll throw another choice in there for you. I would check out the WTB KOM. Its lighter than the Arch Ex, has a wider internal width and I will put my neck out and say much stronger. They are our most popular rim that we build and I personally have a set that I have been putting through the paces the past few months. I have really been impressed by them. I am about 195 all geared up for reference.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If you race, go with the Rovals, if you're looking for rugged equipment that will last years and years while being inexpensive to repair (rims are cheap) I'd go with the King/Arch EX combo. In a few years you could lace up some Enve hoops to those King hubs and your life will be complete. The Rovals are great, and I used them for every day use last year, but the quicker engagement of the Chris King hubs definitely adds some pleasure to the rides.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.