Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I am back into riding after a 5 year hiatus (money and time spent climbing). I ride a Klein Mantra Comp (99) and busted the rear rim 5 years ago (why I stopped riding for the most part). Now that my climbing rack is complete, i have some resources for a new rim, and moved to ATL so there is singletrack that is accessible. The question that I need help with is what wheel to buy. I ride (or rode) moderate cross country, I do not race, so I want a basic, reliable wheel that will give me good performance, but doesn't have to be to light. Cheaper is better, but not at the cost of quality. My bike has V-brakes, so that is probably a deciding factor, and I don't have the $ to upgrade to disc. I'm out of date as far as technology, so any help is highly appreciated. Like to get a wheel for less than $200.

Thanks
PB

·
No Shades of Gray
218 Posts
so many options but..

...check out these - Shimano XT Wheelset W/ Mavic X517 Black Rims at Blueskycycling.com for $139.00.

XT is dependable for moderate riding and the time tested 517s are the older version (I believe) of the current 717s used commonly for "budget" racing. It's all you need unless you are wanting "light-er" which adds cost quickly or more strength if you are gonna bang them up on very technical trails.

Cust. service is good. I ordered a disc pair recently and everything came in time and in order.

Good luck in ATL. Watch out for that slick rock at Conyers.

Linerider

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated

Thanks again, I will check it out

linerider said:
...check out these - Shimano XT Wheelset W/ Mavic X517 Black Rims at Blueskycycling.com for $139.00.

XT is dependable for moderate riding and the time tested 517s are the older version (I believe) of the current 717s used commonly for "budget" racing. It's all you need unless you are wanting "light-er" which adds cost quickly or more strength if you are gonna bang them up on very technical trails.

Cust. service is good. I ordered a disc pair recently and everything came in time and in order.

Good luck in ATL. Watch out for that slick rock at Conyers.

Linerider

1 - 3 of 3 Posts