Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at options for wheels for a new bike I’m building. Haven’t decided on the frame for sure, but in the 110-120 travel range, will probably be something similar to a following.
I want to keep it a light climby bike, I’ll be doing some endurance, maybe xc racing on it.
With the local trails I’ll be riding it on and how I ride, I do need it to be reasonably tough and handle the occasional plow through rock gardens. I fluctuate between 160-175lbs depending on if I’m focusing more on enduro/dh or doing lots of endurance.

Im looking at some of the we are one composites rims, I’ve really wanted to try them out. my budgets around 1500, can go a little more if I absolutely need to. Trying to avoid anything super stuff, and probably not too wide as I won’t be running wider than a 2.5 tire max.

id LIKE to end up around 1400-1500 grams for the wheelset. That might be unrealistic for something that can take some abuse.
I’ve also been thinking of just buying a second, heavy beater wheelset.

Any ideas?

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
Any 32 spoke carbon wheel is going to be tough enough to survive many a ride as long as you put air in your tires so as to not ride rocks on your rim. My Carbonfan all mountain rims weigh 400g each and I've already gotten my money's worth out of them.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,774 Posts
Yeah, with all of these carbon rims, from Light Bicycles to Envy, the only important thing is not going to low on the pressure and smacking it on a rock. None of them will stand up to that, but the proper rim width and build for your application will survive extreme use and abuse. I've DH raced them a lot, XC raced them, pushed them hard on descents, jumps, gaps, cased of course from time to time, and everything else. They do it and they stay true, unlike aluminum rims that "wander" and eventually get thrown out of true by a big hit, but again, it depends on monitoring your pressure and ensuring it is enough.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good recommendations so far. The warranty on the we are ones and Reynolds is a huge selling point, the ibis rims also seem good, just not sure about the width. Some of my favorite tires I’ve been running on my 30mm rims are a little on the square side, wouldn’t mind something 30mm or less to get/keep the profile round. Of course a wider rim might work great with other tires.

What about going with 28 instead of 32 spokes, is that going to hurt strength? Or mostly stiffness? I want about as flexy as I can get with carbon, (another selling point of the we are ones)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Good recommendations so far. The warranty on the we are ones and Reynolds is a huge selling point, the ibis rims also seem good, just not sure about the width. Some of my favorite tires I've been running on my 30mm rims are a little on the square side, wouldn't mind something 30mm or less to get/keep the profile round. Of course a wider rim might work great with other tires.

What about going with 28 instead of 32 spokes, is that going to hurt strength? Or mostly stiffness? I want about as flexy as I can get with carbon, (another selling point of the we are ones)
I'm selling a brand new set of carbon wheels I'm not using. Just PM'd you.

·
This place needs an enema
16,916 Posts
As in I don't want a super stiff wheelset with no give. I like the flex of aluminum. But want carbon for the strength, and to try something a smidge stiffer than an aluminum wheelset. I've ridden carbon wheels that were WAY too stiff and just pinged around off stuff.
You might be a candidate for Berd spokes.

·
Live Free & Ride
1,578 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DT Swiss XM 1501

Quality alu wheelset at 1577gr for 25mm inner diameter. Ticks all boxes and can do pretty much everything.
Yeah i was looking at those for my beater wheelset. have a tough heavier wheelset with burly casing tires and inserts, and a light carbon wheelset with light tires.

It'd be nice to be able to swap both between my two bikes easily, both are boost, same eagle cassette. im guessing it'd take adjusting the derailleur each time I swap though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.