Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife totalled her SUV and thanks to the generousity of my family they gave me my grandma's 95 oldsmobile aurora that just had a new tranny installed. So now my wife drives my old car, 04 vibe, with the roof rack and I drive the aurora because my wife says its too big. I would have liked to instal a Thule rack on the roof but fit kit #184 is no longer produced. A trunk rack won't work because there is no bumper really. My last ditch effort will be a hitch mount but I really didn't want to go that way because I hate throwing 200 bucks into this car to get a hitch :madman: and then buying a tray style rack since I already have the bike carriers from Thule.

I was thinking about permanatly mounting a rook rack to the roof if its possible. I don't really mind drilling holes in the roof since my grandparents hit many things with this car already. Does anybody know if this is possible?

any other suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
achemers said:
A Saris Guardian 2 or 3 trunk rack will fit nicely on one of those. $130 out the door. I love my Guardian 3.
Actually a trunk rack doesn't work so well on this car because there is no real flat surface on the back until you get to below the license plate. I found a great deal on a Saris 2 bike hitch mount tray style rack that I think I'm going to use as soon as I figure out if I really need to spend 200 bucks on a hitch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Actually......

Groffball said:
Actually a trunk rack doesn't work so well on this car because there is no real flat surface on the back until you get to below the license plate. I found a great deal on a Saris 2 bike hitch mount tray style rack that I think I'm going to use as soon as I figure out if I really need to spend 200 bucks on a hitch.
I'm familiar with your car, and the Guardian 2 or 3 would fit on it nicely. I've fitted my 3 on a 1998 Oldsmobile Aurora (same car). Worked perfectly. But the hitch mounted racks are a lot more convenient if you want to spend all that money on them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've used a Saris Bones 3 on an Aurora and that worked fine. Never had the 2-bike Bones rack on one, but that might work if the legs are long enough.

I'd avoid drilling holes in the roof, even if the car's not worth anything. It might last if you seal it up good, but most likely you'll end up with a wet headliner and rust on the roof. How about throwing it in the trunk? That car's got a big backseat and caboose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.