Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I see a lot of 29" SS using 2 piece xt cranks with one ring. Are you guys using the factory middle ring? Are the bolts and thread collar the same or did you have to use shorter bolts and collars.

The Niner guys equip all sizes/frames with 180 Crankarm length. See like a good idea when you are grinding for a little extra leverage. I am 6'0" with 32.75 inseam. Any reason why the 180 length would be a bad for some one my size?

Any thoughts on the FSA single speed Spefic cranks: VDRIVE ss mega exo?

See link: http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=52&pid=794

Thanks

Kforum

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
kforum said:
Hi Guys,

I see a lot of 29" SS using 2 piece xt cranks with one ring. Are you guys using the factory middle ring? Are the bolts and thread collar the same or did you have to use shorter bolts and collars.

The Niner guys equip all sizes/frames with 180 Crankarm length. See like a good idea when you are grinding for a little extra leverage. I am 6'0" with 32.75 inseam. Any reason why the 180 length would be a bad for some one my size?

Any thoughts on the FSA single speed Spefic cranks: VDRIVE ss mega exo?

See link: http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=52&pid=794

Thanks

Kforum
Most SS riders go to a singlespeed specific chainring because you don't need the shifting ramps and pins with a SS. Usually you have to get a set of short bolts and collars for this purpose.

Crank arm length is really up to the rider. I use 175's and i'm a midget, but i've seen taller guys than me on 170's...and big guys on 185's...etc.. it just depends on what you feel suits your pedaling style best.

I use both the FSA Mega Exo and the Shimano XT and have gradually come to prefer the XT crankset, simply because they are easier to work with. You can install them or remove them in a few minutes, no problems.

HTH,

R.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.