Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a 2006 Rockhopper Pro Disc. I'm not sure which size I need though. I'm 6'0 (33" inseam) and my LBS recommended a 21" for a comfortable ride. I also have problems with my wrists, so riding my current Cannondale F500 is not a lot of fun. On the other hand a 21" seems quite big for my size. Problem is: My LBS has to order the bike, so I couldn't test ride it yet.

Or should I wait for the 2007 Rockhopper? A guy at Specialized Europe told me it had a m4 frame, all Shimano components and nicer decals. It would be nice to see a picture but my LBS doesn't have the early release catalog. So could someone maybe post some pics?

Thanks in advance for your help guys, I really need it! :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is there anyway for your lbs to fit you on another rockhopper if possible?? And yes the 21 inch frame does seem a bit big for you.

21" frame has a 817mm standover height=32.17 inches

As a point of reference the guy at my lbs has a 33" inseam and rides a 19" frame rockhopper. If you're still now sure go here http://wrenchscience.com/WS1/Secure/Fitting/Height.asp
and input your measurements and then compare them to the geometry specs on the specialized page.

Also just so you know the 07 rockhoppers still have a A1 frame, though it might be lighter and more geared towards xc(that remains to be seen tho), it definitely doesn't look as beefy tho. Also from what I could tell from someones pics on another forum they down speced the forks from a tora 318 to tora 302. Rest of the specs I'm not to sure about, but decals and stuff like that its all subjective.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm 6'1" and the 21" frame fits me perfectly.
I have a 32" inseam and my sleeve length is about 34". I've owned a 19" Hardrock Comp (2002) and it was too small and felt cramped and ended up giving the bike to a buddy. I also measured the "true" standover height of my '05 RockHopper just a minute ago - and it's closer to 30.5". While standing over the bike I can lift the front wheel about 8" off the ground - plenty of clearance.
Different bikes do fit differently. I tried a 21.5" Trek Fuel 80 and it was massive. Felt like I was a little kid riding my dad's bike...
Lastly, if your LBS recommends the 21" and it doesn't fit, I'd have them send it back and order you the 19".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it the same geometry as for 2003/4? I'm around 6'2" and very happy with my 19". I put on a longer stem and moved the saddle back a bit when I bought it (more of a roadbike fit). Now I have a shorter stem for more technical riding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.