Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have a few quick questions that I'm sure the fat bike gurus can help me out with quickly.

First, I'm short, 5'5", but I have a long torso and short legs, will I be okay on a 16" Pugsley? All the measurements I've seen make me think I'd be fine, although I won't have the stand-over clearence I might normally prefer. My thinking is that since this is going to be my winter bike, I won't need it as much as I won't be doing the technical riding on it that I do on my Spesh Pitch.

Second, concerning the build, I've found the 100mm FSA Platinum DH ISIS BB...that will work on the Pugs, correct? What brand/model crankset do I have to use with that bad boy? I have a Shimano something or other crankset that came on my pitch (low-end, non-outboard bearings), but I think Shimano uses a different BB.

If I buy the frameset, will it come with anything other than frame and fork? (i.e. seat clamp, headset)

Thanks in advance for any insight, I can't wait to join your ranks. :thumbsup:

·
Stubby-legged
1,303 Posts
I'm 5'3.657894352"

and my wife is 5'0". We both ride the 16 inch Pugs. It's her winter bike and my summer ride.
There are deffinitly some compromises to be had when combining shortness and the small Pugs. Top tube lenght is our biggest problem. Stubby stems help, but end up putting more weight on the rear. Standover really is only a problem if you are sidehilling and step off on the downhill side. :eek: :D
Buy the pug, go to your LBS for tech building help. Support the locals. (any Isis drive cranset will fit an Isis bottom bracket.)
The Pugs has been THE most fun bike I have owned. My Lefty equiped Carver sits in the garage, whining about me not taking it out for a spin. I think the Pugs teases it as we ride by.

Now....look at the swinging watch...you're getting sleepy...your eyes are getting heavy....when you wake up, you will buy,build and ride the Pugs....resistance is futile...:D :D

·
Registered
14,325 Posts
I believe wildfire bikes offers a fat bike in 13" frame. My buddy is 5' 8" and rides a 16" Pug and fits fine, but he couldn't handle a bigger frame.

http://thelazyrando.wordpress.com/2009/06/17/fat-bikes-for-smaller-riders/

I would agree with 1spd1way about standover not being a huge issue if we were talking a road bike, but the nature of the Pug means you'll be doing sudden dismounts without planning. I'd be unhappy without at least 1" of clearance in standover.

OTOH - I have no standover clearance on my LHT and that's just fine. Of course I've never tried to ride my LHT through a snowbank either!

·
Stubby-legged
1,303 Posts
Road bike?

What's that? Oh...is that when you pump the endos up to 25 lbs and ride to the trail on pavement?:D

This is why I have been after Surly to make a 14in Pug. Or 24 in Endos. Although, in the time we've owned the small Pugs, I haven't had a top tube "touchdown" yet. In correspondence recently with Surly, they hinted about increased standover. I'm thinking a curved top tube like their Instigator.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Standover on the pugs is high. If you ride on trails in the snow, there will be plenty of dismounts on not so sure footing. I am 6' and ride an 18" frame and would not go any bigger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts